A question about the AWFUL drums on The Breathing Shadow

TheFourthHorseman

In The Twilight World
Jan 7, 2003
Finland
Why is it that in some songs,such as Nightfall Overture,Return To Dreamland,Alone? and such the drums sound like they're actually played,where as in most of the songs they're obviously done with a drum machine. Maybe I'm just hearing things and they're all done on the machine but answers would be appreciated.
Btw The Breathing Shadow still rules though the drums aren't that good.

well, the breathing shadow album was made in 7 days. Obviously the drums were made by a machine, and that is what makes them so awful, altough the programmed-drums are very good companion for the music.
never thought that the drums were awful, knowing that the album was made in 7 days, i think they're great.
bye

Of course considering the time and the fact that Dan was doing the whole thing alone the drums aren't that bad....they just really stand out to my ears sometimes.

Dude, the drums on that album are anything but aweful. I remember asking Dan about this.. but it was a long time ago... if my memory serves me, the mechnical sounding songs were no doubt (duh!) a drum machine, but the others were sequenced samples from his drum kit... (awesome hi-hat sound!) which I loved personally. Electronic drums, if done properly, can sound fantastic.

Ok well I admit that I exaggerated on the topic,but I wanted responses anyway :) And don't try telling me that the drums on Sleep are good...seriously that drum sound is repulsive to me. As you said about Dan using samples on some songs,they sound great!
Anyway you answered exactly what I wanted to know...cause the drums on Nightfall and Alone? sound so much different I thought it couldn't be the same thing. It's just a shame that the whole album wasn't done with the "sequenced samples" though I don't quite remember/know the meaning of sequenced...well school starts tomorrow anyway,should learn.

I like the drums on this, too. But I'm the last person that has problems with synthetic drums, because I use them myself.
I think it fits to the songs. The Breathing Shadow is totally different from the other NG albums, not only because of the drums. It's the mood.

I like the sound of that album,but don't mind me because I don't know shit about drums or anything.I just know I like some music

manuelgv said:
I like the sound of that album,but don't mind me because I don't know shit about drums or anything.I just know I like some music

Well same here,I just know when I hear "techno" drums :)
I made a little edit to the subject too,cause in the end they aren't really that bad and in some songs very good too...ok I would change the subject if I wasn't such a newbie. So fuck it... Thanks for all replies...

I play drums myself and I have nothing against synthetic drums but yeah, the sound is pretty awful. It doesn't bother me too much though and I like the album.