Crimson and The Breathing Shadow

lumen

CKMS supporter
Jul 18, 2001
cat shelter
www.killeatexploittheweak.tk
I listened to both these albums while I was walking today (unfortunately it's not snowing).

I noticed similarities when I first heard them both - like the guitar sound, for example. But I've never listened to them both so close together before.

The Breathing Shadow flowed so beautifully as a follow-up to Crimson (sonically, although not lyrically), especially beginning with "Nightfall Overture" as it does.
(I believe they were written the other way around though, so now I'll have to reverse the order and listen to them again to see how it works that way...)

Has anyone else tried listening to them one right after the other? And have you felt they flow into each other well?

I know that Dan used a couple of riffs that he had "over" from the Breathing Shadow recording, because they had so less time for Crimson. The cleanguitar riffs. And they sound a lot like "The Breathing Shadow".

But had anyone heard, that there is a riff in Crimson, which is in the first song from Route Nine at 4:17 min.
I'm pretty sure.
Don't know where exactly you can find it on Crimson, but maybe someone recognises it. :)

Um, didn't The Breathing Shadow come out BEFORE Crimson did? I'm pretty sure TBS came out in 1995 and Crimson came out in 1996. That said, I can definitely hear carry-over elements in both albums--not so much in the guitar sound, but in certain riffs and vocal lines Dan uses. The Breathing Shadow is my favorite Nightingale album, and Crimson is my favorite EoS album, so it's kinda cool that they are somewhat connected in that way...