a question for anders / or band. regarding Song books

Since Viva Emptiness .. wich i think is the most popular .. are you guys planning to release a Viva Emptiness " Song book .. guitar book with tableture.. ? well .. who decide of that.. is it peaceville ? or ? ..

cause .. a guitar book of Viva Emptiness or any other albums would be a great idea !

.. btw.. you where so great at Montreal .. :) \m/
got lots of pics.. if u interested .
1.JPG

2.JPG

thanx!
ESTIOS / Steve

well, i personally wouldnt have anything against a katatonia song book featuring tablatures from one, some or all albums offered for all our fans. the problem is that peaceville wouldnt really be interested in making it, so it has to be ourselves making it or someone licensing it from us. i never bought a song book from a band so i dont know how that works and how it usually is. until we figure this out, u have to do with all the tabs that are around on the web (altho they're often filled with crucial errors - so that means i should have to correct them as well, but that's a time consuming overload and not possible for me right now to do). i guess using your ears is the best move at this point and knowing the tunings of course. good lukk.

Figuring out the tunings is the hardest part (at least for me), but that's probably to do with my not being proficient at guitar yet. Perhaps if you ever have spare time you could maybe give that information (tunings). It would be at least a good point to start at for those who wish to transcribe the music by ear. That would save them getting a quarter of the way through the song and then realising they're using the wrong tuning. :D

Actually, I think a song book would be a great idea. I usually work the songs out myself but it helps that if something doesnt sound right I can look up other peoples interpretations and see what they think that part is like.

But, however, usually by playing that part you can tell it's wrong... which is why I think a song book would be good.

There are lots of budding guitarists who love Anders' style and want to learn to play the songs properly. They may not have a good ear to work it out, and going by some of the tragic tabs on the net...

Cerulean said:
Figuring out the tunings isn't that ard imo, it's much harder to figure out all those weird typical Katatonia riffs, they're often not just powerchords.
nailed. especially on LFDGD, where we play 6 string chords pretty much the whole time. we also use very different tunings on all albums. i'll try to get all these tunings and remarks down for u as a start when i find the time, but tabbing out each song would take ages. is there any proggie to use that makes it easier???

There used to be a few programs that would take what you play and put it into tab form. However, from what I've heard, they were WAY off usually.

Mind you, I havent ever used one, nor have I seen one around. There seem to be a few programs you can type the chords into and it will tab it for you though.

There's one called Guitar Pro which is supposed to be good.

Blakkheim said:
nailed. especially on LFDGD, where we play 6 string chords pretty much the whole time. we also use very different tunings on all albums. i'll try to get all these tunings and remarks down for u as a start when i find the time, but tabbing out each song would take ages. is there any proggie to use that makes it easier???
Well, there's Powertab and Guitar Pro, where you can HEAR the tabs in midi format, but it's very time consuming.
An easy and quick program which generates simple text tabs is Instab http://rhythm.harmony-central.com/~ftp/software/windows/guitar-bass/instab-10.zip

Official tabs would help me out with a lot of songs though. I especially like to play old songs, like At Last, and the way I play it it's close enough, but it's still not perfect. Another example is Scarlet Heavens, I could figure out almost everything, but there's some weird parts that are nearly impossible to find out myself.

what about gathering the most reliable tabs on one site, or just put together tabs written by us in this forum or other Katatonia fans? we could try to correct them together or ask Anders' help if he has time to give us suggestions, etc. I think in this way we could do ourselves a nice song book...

Viva's the hardest to tab because the guitars are produced in a way they sort of go together, where as previous releases had a melody/rhythm that were completely seperated and easy to decipher...

After fucking around a bit, this sounds a little like One Year From Now during the verse...

Tuning C/F/A#/D#/G/C, 3/4 time signature

|--------------------0---|
|--------0-------------0-|
|----1-----1-----1-------|
|--2---2-------2---2-----|
|2-----------2-----------|
|------------------------|