A question for Blakkheim about OT

the-lull

discouraged one
May 25, 2001
France
www.thelull.fr.fm
After the release of Last Fair Deal Gone Down, you were interviewed for a website. The guy talked you about October Tide and here is what you answered

I talked with Jonas just the other night about that and it really depends on how keen the world is to show him that it is demanded. He has no faith in October Tide anymore. He is so tired with the failures of the two albums because they didn't sell anything. They were so extremely poorly promoted. So October Tide has in a way been unintentionally a cult thing now because it is so goddamn underrated.
Definitely. So maybe it will happen at a future point.
Yeah, maybe. It depends, like I said, on the feedback that it gets. If there is a demand in the world for it, I think he could do it because he still has it inside himself.

Do you think this is still possible in 2005, that Jonas reconsiders recording something under the name October Tide ? I mean this band has never been so cult (see Rain Without End, or grey Dawn t-shirts selling prices on Ebay...). What are we supposed to do to show October Tide is demanded ?

Oh, and I've got a good one about this. I asked Jonas on the Viva Emptiness tour not to forget to release another October Tide album. His answer was : "Ok, but not now, cause I'm sick", which was true. I took a picture with him when there is splendid stain on his hood shirt...he really seems like a ghost on that shot !

Concerning my willing to see another OT album, this is because I'm fed up with these finnish bands claiming to be October Tide or Katatonia-influenced and showing nothing but romantic shit.
October Tide was something really dark. The work on harmonies is so great on Grey Dawn...
And Dear Sun is one of the darkest acoustic stuff I've ever heard. I feel like dying when I'm listening to this song.
And I definitely need more of that...

i agree, october tide was built all on harmonies of dissonance compared to the other bands in same genre completely ignoring that. the notes in the ironically titled "dear sun" is the darkest you'll ever get.

i leave the questions of a revival for jonas to answer as he reads this board.

Blakkheim said:
i agree, october tide was built all on harmonies of dissonance compared to the other bands in same genre completely ignoring that. the notes in the ironically titled "dear sun" is the darkest you'll ever get.

i leave the questions of a revival for jonas to answer as he reads this board.
So you do read the board, ok. Anything happening with Katatonia, then? The black sessions? New album?

I'd love to hear another October Tide album, but he should only do it if he really feels the 'magic' again, not just because other people want him/them to.

I'd also like to have an update on Katatonia, the last update's over 2.5 months ago!

Man, another OT album would kill. It's amazing how dark the music is, yet it's so melodic, very good stuff, I like it very much, and wish I would have found it earlier.

Also, the-lull, what finnish bands are you talking about with all the "romantic shit" that claim to be influenced by these two wonderful records?!

Another October Tide album would be fantastic, BUT only if Jonas did the growls. Grey Dawn i probably haven't listened to more than 10 times. Rain Without End i've listened to countless times. That guitar melody in Sightless is absolutely beautiful. Yes Fred and Jonas need to make some more magic happen with October Tide.

I would love to hear another OT cd....but I think that Jonas and Fred too might have grown past it...maybe more fred than Jonas....I dont know at all really....but I suspect that might have happened....either way it would be a great thing but Im not holding my breath for it....with Katatonia and Bloodbath going on and all I would think that it might be too much to ask of Jonas.....
I know that when OT was happening it was because Jonas and Fred were disagreeing with Anders about the direction that Katatonia was going in (AT THE TIME) I think that now they are fully agreeing with what katatonia is doing....I know that I am. So like I said....im not holding my breath....but I would really enjoy another OT alblum.

Rain Without End and Grey Dawn are both amazing CDs, and I would be overjoyed to see another October Tide album come out. Everyone always compares OT to the old Katatonia sound, and there certainly are similarities (of course), but I've always thought OT had a sound of its own. There's an air of sadness so deeply ingrained in the sound that words simply can't do it justice. It's just really, really goddamn good, and I hope against hope that one day we'll get to hear more.

man, i havnt even heard october tide, but from what you guys are saying bout them it seems i must check them out! how do i go about this??

jptk said:
man, i havnt even heard october tide, but from what you guys are saying bout them it seems i must check them out! how do i go about this??

Alright, to obtain a copy of an October Tide album, here is what you need to do [write this down]

1. Find someone who owns a copy of either album, or both.
2. Find out where they live.
3. Kill them.
4. Take said album.
5. Hide body.
6. Run like fuck.

another would be good, but only if it doesn't interfere with the new katatonia releases and it's important to for them to feel inspired enough to write that type of music again, if not they shouldn't taint the legacy because of fan demands.

Jinn said:
Alright, to obtain a copy of an October Tide album, here is what you need to do [write this down]

1. Find someone who owns a copy of either album, or both.
2. Find out where they live.
3. Kill them.
4. Take said album.
5. Hide body.
6. Run like fuck.

Good advice! :devil: Ill see what i can do