A Question for Egan

Ozzloaf

Art Geek
Jun 14, 2008
Hey Egan,
What techniques do you use for your bass playing? Do you use a pick or your fingers? Any tips for a fellow bassist?
Thanks,
Jake

I'm all fingerstyle on records but I dabble with picks some. Whatever gets the sound you want is the right one.
I think the most important thing you can do is develop your ear so that you can translate what you hear in your head into your hands. Recording yourself often will highlight your flaws and (hopefully) force you to correct them which will ultimately make you a tighter player all of the time.
Hope this helps.
-egan

Thanks man. Yeah, I've been using my fingers too it's just that I constantly see bassists from bands I like use picks so I'm not really sure which to use.

really true and helpful statement Egan, bassists are known for being overall balanced musicians that dont favor their (or any) instrument above others, thats why many people agree that bassists make very good producers. Egan you produce or engineer or something like that on daylight dies right? I heard it somewhere but not sure

Being a bassist as well as an engineering student, I can tell you that having a bassist for a producer can be a good thing... as we're not likely to bury the bass in the mix behind the wall of guitars!

Being a bassist as well as an engineering student, I can tell you that having a bassist for a producer can be a good thing... as we're not likely to bury the bass in the mix behind the wall of guitars!

not only this, but bassists know the role of their instrument is not to be heard above everything (at least most do), instead that every instrument has its proper place. Yes, a common production error is that bass is buried underneath the guitars so deep its barely audible, but it would be a mistake to make the bass so loud that it overpowers the guitar (works for some people but most of the time it just drains the band from the power the guitars give), bass is a rythmic instrument, its impact on the song is more subliminal as in direction and feeling than lead instruments like guitar or vocals. Take DaylightDies as a good example, Egans bass in no way takes a lead role in the sound, the lead is definitely the guitars job but the bass is nicely audible and has a very clean feel that gives a whole "calm" kinda sound to the rythmic section. A bassist must learn to do his job the best he can, but must always have clear WHAT his job is. Leads and melodic fill can be a plus if used properly but not a necesity in any way, bass is first and formost about rythm. I greatly respect Egan for being that kind of centered bass player, plus a great singer!

P.S. Im a bassist and engineering student too, but I study Industrial Engineering which has absolutely nothing to do with music or bass playing. what kind of Eng. do you study?

not only this, but bassists know the role of their instrument is not to be heard above everything (at least most do), instead that every instrument has its proper place. Yes, a common production error is that bass is buried underneath the guitars so deep its barely audible, but it would be a mistake to make the bass so loud that it overpowers the guitar

Very true, I hate it when I can't hear the bass at all. But when the bass is too loud it can be fucking annoying - like 'Morningrise'. Ugh the bass on that record is horrible.

Morningrise is one of the best albums of all time! I think the bass sounds good. :(

Maybe Doom metal isn't the best environment for funky parts haha I haven't listened to/for the bass at all in DD though.. should try.

if you listen carefully youll get what I mean, the bass on DD and other similar doom bands is not a forefront instrument as bass on Morningrise is, it a basic, rythmically perfect bass beat and a very clean sound that brings a feeling of calmness to the song, at least thats what I get from Egans playing, i think its perfect for the style, if he was cliff burton and used a wah-wah and fuzz and did solos and arpeggios all the time itd be a totally different band, it would lose all the rythmic feeling and flow so special of DD songs