Bass players!!!

Eternal_Frost

Mar 24, 2004
Nanaimo , BC Canada
ive been playing bass for 3 years now , and i usually use a pick when trying to play 32nd notes. but i prefer the sound of my fingers , and im inspired by bassists from bands such as Athiest , Metallica , Cynic, Watchtower and Symphony X , and all of them use their fingers . so the question im asking is , could some of you guys give me tips/lessons on how to master the 3 fingered technique. thanks.

3 = ring
2 = middle
1 = index

DO NOT play 3-2-1-2. That *will* improve your speed slightly, because you relieve the amount of work on your index finger, instead trading off between that and your ring ringer, but the middle still has to work just as hard...every other note. So you don't gain very much by that, plus it's more work than it's worth to get the coordination for that.

People will try to tell you to do that for groups of 4 (like straight 16ths). Do not listen to them.

3-2-1-3-2-1 is the way to go. It's tough at first to get the accenting right for straight 16ths in groups of 4, but it doesn't take much work to get past the little mental block that's presented there. Mathematically (I can work it out some other time if you'd like) this way is MUCH more effective than 3-2-1-2.

Work on playing straight 4/4 with the grouping of 3, accenting every 4th note.

Also, you can use your index and ring finger instead of index and middle, because the anatomy of your hand allows for the first option to go longer without your forearm getting fatigued.

This is all outlined in a lesson with Dream Theater's John Myung in the April/May issue of Bass Guitar, so if you want to have some practicing excersices on what Liquid Shadow was talking about they are there. (I'll write down what he does but the notation is very good to look at in the magazine)

At first he goes through all 7 modes in three octaves using the three fingered technique. Then he goes through a C major scale that reverses a couple of times (This is were it's good to look at the notation unless you just want to make up your own exercise) and he shows a excerpt of A Change of Seasons, which if you are familiar with Dream Theater you have probably heard. If you have a recording it is form 12:18 to 12:30.

It does take a lot of practice and the best way to start is just picking open strings then working with triplets. Then you can go to 8th and 16th notes. Hope this helped

1-2-3 just doesn't make as much sense, try 1-2-3 and then try 3-2-1 and see for your self. It may also be that's that is the way I have always done it, because that's the way John Myung does it, but it just feels wierd to me. I guess whatever floats your boat

I know Sheehan uses the 3 finger technique, but you don't necessarily need to use 3 fingers to be ultra fast. Cliff Burton used 1-2-1-2, and played songs like battery and damage inc. I play 2-1-2-1 and for triplets I play 3-2-1-3-2-1. Weird, I know, but it works for me.

Hmmm. I play 3-1-2-1 sometimes for sixteenth note passages, and 3-2-1 for triplets. Of course, I'm not *too* fast at it yet.

So John Myung plays 3-2-1 3-2-1, even in sixteenth note passages? Wow.

By the way, how does Lepond play? I've only seen him use two fingers, but does he use three?

Lepond uses three fingers I think, but I coulnd't tell which method. What was most impressive about seeing him live was his tapping, which is actually not far off from the style of Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse. It's like a three finger chord tap thing... I have a friend here that does it too - I'll have to have him show me how...

Mykuhcyde said:
Lepond uses three fingers I think, but I coulnd't tell which method. What was most impressive about seeing him live was his tapping, which is actually not far off from the style of Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse. It's like a three finger chord tap thing... I have a friend here that does it too - I'll have to have him show me how...

The tapping thing is awesome! It's fun in King of Terrors, Fallen, and Sea of Lies. My biggest problem with the tapping is that it's never loud enough! Only with distortion or a boost switch does it sound equal to the volume of normal plucked strings. Any tips on how he does it live without the aid of such devices?

Low action and hit the strings hard. For my right hand I do what Billy Sheehan does and tap with my index, with the middle finger pushing down behind it (tip of your middle finger on the nail of your index). Also remember that when you're pulling off, either from the right hand to the left or with notes in the left hand, that you don't just lift your finger off the string. You actually have to "pull off" of the string...bending it *very* slightly and more importantly how you should almost try to pluck it as you release one note into the next.

MajorRager said:
I know Sheehan uses the 3 finger technique, but you don't necessarily need to use 3 fingers to be ultra fast. Cliff Burton used 1-2-1-2, and played songs like battery and damage inc. I play 2-1-2-1 and for triplets I play 3-2-1-3-2-1. Weird, I know, but it works for me.
I use the EXACT same technique! Hahahah... we are kindred spirits.

Sometimes I practice the 3 finger thing on a table. I've realized that when doing straight-sixteenths, the accents change from finger to finger. I count "one-e-and-a-two-e-and-a-three-e-and-a-four-e," and I can feel the accent shifting from fingers "3-2-1" on every down beat.

I've been practicing this, and it's helped, but I need to do it more.

Mykuhcyde said:
LePond uses two fingers. I spoke with him after the Cincinnati show last year. We talked for a few minutes on the subject; he feels awkward using his ring finger on his right hand because it sets lower than his index finger. That's just the shape of his hand. He told me the best way to practice building speed was with a metronome, in all situations.

Lepond was very helpful to me, and I am grateful to have spoken with him on the subject.