A question for the bassists out there.

Burning Darkness

Go fuck yourself
Mar 17, 2002
New York
Visit site
I'm just beginning to play bass, and I have a little experience on guitar but I've never had any lessons or anything. What are some songs to practice playing in order to build up technique on the bass?

Burning Darkness said:
I'm just beginning to play bass, and I have a little experience on guitar but I've never had any lessons or anything. What are some songs to practice playing in order to build up technique on the bass?

Well that all depends on the Tech your aiming for I Started out with Iron Maiden Fourtunes of War its an awsome song to learn I would suggest that one :) and like OverKill Powersurge Both are fairly easy to learn and are fun as hell Good Luck and Have fun!

Burning Darkness said:
Some easy stuff is For whom the bell tolls(Duhh!!). Only for the weak by In Flames is really easy. Some Maiden song will be good for developing speed and tecnique. Ty hallowed be thy name, aces high, the trooper etc.

The first song I ever figured out myself on bass was Dawn Patrol on Megadeth. For Whom the Bell Tolls is excellent to start with though, it's easy and gets you familiar with the bottom and top of the neck. And how to use a wah with distortion too, because that is rather important. :tickled:

Advice: don't use transcriptions or tab *shudder*, figure it out yourself.

hm...
parliament's flashlight can show ya how a simple line that isn't hard at all can be the base for a song and become extremely popular, ya know what i mean
uhm...money by pink floyd will stretch you out for a beginner
not that big of a metal bass player
and any rage against the machine song...for starting out...try guerilla(sic) radio, thats the first song i learned how to play

Any song by Iron Maiden. You develop speed, rhythm, your hand gets worked to the max and you'll be able to stratch easier. The most important thing is to listen to the drummer, your job as bassist is to make everybody around you sound good. After all that everybody's gonna be bowing down to you :worship:

As opposed to dfferent songs, the first thing I would do is learn to play both with a pick and fingers. I have found so many bassists that use one technique or the other, but few that use both. Some bassists, especially ones that play with their fingers are downright nasty towards bass players that use picks. I find that in either case, you are selling yourself short on a technique that can give you a wider range of tones.

Bryant

Bryant said:
As opposed to dfferent songs, the first thing I would do is learn to play both with a pick and fingers. I have found so many bassists that use one technique or the other, but few that use both. Some bassists, especially ones that play with their fingers are downright nasty towards bass players that use picks. I find that in either case, you are selling yourself short on a technique that can give you a wider range of tones.

Bryant

I use both, I found some songs are easier with a pick than other songs. But I try to be able to play them with both.

NAD said:
The first song I ever figured out myself on bass was Dawn Patrol on Megadeth. For Whom the Bell Tolls is excellent to start with though, it's easy and gets you familiar with the bottom and top of the neck. And how to use a wah with distortion too, because that is rather important. :tickled:

Advice: don't use transcriptions or tab *shudder*, figure it out yourself.
yes, i found for whom the bell tolls a good start, very easy to pickup, i learnt that without having any lessons or even being shown how to do anything

try and learn some funk. like maybe george clinton and the p-funk, james brown (yeh yeh soul funk same shit ha) all that type of shit

funk bass lines are very good for learning rhythm, technique, and a lot of em will bust your chops to no end.

but if your one of those metal elitist types who wont listen to anything but metal, try and learn some power metal, that would be good for speed and try to get some death metal, not really fast death metal, but more slowere death metal songs, that should help with rhythm

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GET INTO PLAYING THE BASS, LISTEN TO ANESTHESIA[PULLING TEETH] FROM METALLICA'S FIRST ALBUM. IT'S A BASS SOLO. I LISTEN TO IT FOR INSPIRATION. BUT THESE SONGS ARE ALSO GOOD:
METALLICA-AM I EVIL ?/ TO LIVE IS TO DIE
BLACK SABBATH-PARANOID/WAR PIGS
FLOTSAM AND JETSAM-DER FUHRER
MEGADETH-GOOD MOURNING/BLACK FRIDAY
CHECK OUT THESE BASSISTS AS WELL....
CLIFF BURTON-METALLICA
JASON NEWSTED-METALLICA
SCOTT REEDER-UNIDA, KYUSS
BLACKY-VOIVOD
DAVE ELLEFSON-MEGADETH
LES CLAYPOOL-PRIMUS
........EACH BRINGS STYLE AND ORIGINALITY TO A MUCH IGNORED INTRUMENT !! LONG LIVE THE BASS !!!!! :headbang: :worship:

Before even learning a song,Maybe you should get a book that can show you scales this way you can build up strength in your fingers & then tackle some songs.If all you ever do is learn by playing other peoples licks,then you might never develop your own style.

No doubt - Metallica, Metallica, Metallica. Tons of solid rhythym, and lots of fun "solo" parts. Burton or Newstead, they're both _amazing_, and you have your pick whether you want to learn fingerstyle or play with a pick. Sabbath, every album is a fucking bible, and let's be honest, any Ramones song is a good workout. Get tabs of songs you like off the net, get a theory book, and play, play, play. And Maiden is the _shit_ for amazing sound and high melodic lines, for real.

I used to through Maiden's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" section by section, slowly w/ a metronome when I was starting out. It has most of the basic "metal" techniques, it teaches endurance, and, well, it's a damn good song!!
Use a metronome!! Even if just play scales or exercises, make sure you are doing them in time. It's a drag at first but it will help you immensely.