Need some advice from the drummers

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
I currently play bass and I have experience playing a six string electric and piano. I want to take up the drums, but don't want to buy a kit (used or new) outright yet. I'm thinking of getting a practice pad and some sticks (obviously, it's going to be pretty dumb using my hands), but I wanted to know what else I should do. Should I get some videos or some books on proper technique? Should I just start out by drumming along to songs on the pad?

dude i think if u want to learn by yourself try to play songs by listening to them. or try buy DVDs and instructional videos

I would recommend buying a DVD or something that at least shows you proper hand technique (yes, it does matter how you hold the sticks), then moves onto drum rudiments such as singles, doubles, paradiddles, etc. I practice on pads as well, and use bass drum pedal pads so I can still work my feet.

I would recommend buying a DVD or something that at least shows you proper hand technique (yes, it does matter how you hold the sticks), then moves onto drum rudiments such as singles, doubles, paradiddles, etc. I practice on pads as well, and use bass drum pedal pads so I can still work my feet.

This is the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

As what DemonJay said, it is most important to become familiar with proper grip and proper stroke technique. Try to practice American, German, and French matched grip and master them. Then you should be able to integrate all of those grips into your playing for a much more fluid experience. Avoid traditional grip until you have become very adept at all the matched grips, because it is more important to focus on one thing before moving on.

Also, get a drum throne and a bass pedal if you can. The throne will be better for posture, and you can attach the pedal to something to simulate a bass drum. It will be more entertaining than just having one pad, but again, with bass drumming, you still have to exercise proper technique, but you will be able to find information on everything you need to begin on YouTube and Expert Village.

Hope you enjoy drumming. Save playing along with Morbid Angel until later...