need some drumming tips!

Yes, because that's what they were doing when they made the album. Throwing in blast beats as FILLER.

Just like some people say they wrote the music "too cocky".

Cause when they wrote the music they were thinking, "hey, let's write cocky music!" Is that even possible?

I think that is better if you groove instead of blast... plus, you don't need to be such a technical drummer to groove :)

Timo Häkkinen (sotajumala)... one of my fave drummers.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of modern Metal's most creative drummers (in the vein of Danny Carey):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvQx8Ic6MjM&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BatXT196-Qw&feature=related[/ame]

ive been training on speed a bit (sorryz!), am i supposed to actually feel my biceps putting effort when im going like 500 bpm (one hand) or is it wrong technique? i dunnoz how to use my fingers for speed :(

edit: anyway now that i know how to hold the sticks and did some LRLRLR exercises, what do i do to get better? studying jazz beats from freedrumlessons.com? :(

ive been training on speed a bit (sorryz!), am i supposed to actually feel my biceps putting effort when im going like 500 bpm (one hand) or is it wrong technique? i dunnoz how to use my fingers for speed :(

edit: anyway now that i know how to hold the sticks and did some LRLRLR exercises, what do i do to get better? studying jazz beats from freedrumlessons.com? :(

and now you feel why you should start slow, when you go fast you have to concentrate too much. do it slow and it will happen without thinkin about it.

by the way. I dont think you mastered these excercises. you may play them good, but can you do them for half an our watching tv and know what your doing? and doing it right? dont think so, honestly.
but you can go one step ahead with this practice. with that one and all the others you should be able to use your brain for practice a bit :cool:

you accent every 3rd hit...
1 - R
2 - l
3 - r
4 - L
-----
1 - r
2 - l
3 - R
4 - l
----
1 - r
2 - L
3 - r
4 - l
----
1 - R
2 - l
3 - r
4 - L
----
and again with the forst one.

for inspiration crawl around in youtube. and open your mind a bit for other music styles like Jazz or even hip hop. you dont have to like the music, at least I dont, but what some drummers do with their kit is amazing. just to drop some names:
Dave Weckl
buddy rich
Charly Antolini
Steve Gadd
Neil Part
Tony royster Jr.
john blackwell

I could list thousands of names. you really should look at http://www.drummerworld.com for inspiration, but only for that. in case of grooving these guys kick everyones ass. and guys like Rick and Antolini did things like blast beats 40 years ago. when they start no one can keep up.

^thank you
you are right about actually MASTERING the excerices, so now im just going to spend a lot of time actually repeating this shit many many many many times

^thank you
you are right about actually MASTERING the excerices, so now im just going to spend a lot of time actually repeating this shit many many many many times

Derek Roddy does endurance and precision exercises for close to one hour a day (that's really long.....especially when you're at his speed doing LRLRLRLR and finding alternates)

It'll take you WAY longer to master the rudiments. If you feel like you've mastered a speed, up your metronome tempo by 10bpm (meaning, up 40 hits per minute)

hey guys i actually started playing drums maybe two years ago or something but i stopped because i didn't have the money to buy a drum set at the time and i also wasn't happy with the lessons i was taking ..but i started again probably 2 or 3 months ago and i am also having a prob with my left hand but..with time it'll get there i know i just have to focus on exercising more with the left than just the right hand..
but here's a youtube channel that can help from beginners to advanced players
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spikeydrummer
the guy has lots of videos there with really good explanations of pretty useful stuff
it helped with somethings it may help some of you too

I've been drumming marching band stylse for 7 years and full kit Metal style for a few months and the most important tip I think anyone can use(already suggested by Flal) is to

LEARN ALL YOUR RUDIMENTS! You should be able to do single stroke rolls AND double stroke rolls equally well, leading with the left hand and right hand equally well. Learn that and everything else will be SOOO much easier.

^ do you play in a marching band as well? Like learning choreography, walking around and stuff? That shit must be fooking hard, because marching drums isn't that easily (especially combined with those stick tricks).

I have been playing for over 4 years now daily and I'm horrible for playing that long, so...I really don't have any advice other do the opposite that I did and learn and practice your rudiments. I'm too lazy for that shit, just put on some tunes and play along lol. A lot of advice here is concerning hands, don't forget to work on your legs too. Especially for metal drumming, you'll need some quick feet.

its a problem working on legs without an actual drum set
i put 2 used shirts on the floor below me but i cant actually hear it so sometimes i cant be sure if my double-shirt-bass is going off-beat or not