Did some drumming today...

jangoux

May 9, 2006
I am by no means a drummer. Sometimes I fool around with it, play some...but I haven't done so in AT LEAST a year and a half. I can play most rock stuff and I just can't handle hardcore/metal due to the speed involved, but I have the coordination to do so. OK, I repeat, I am not a drummer.

Today I took my drum set to the studio I work on, and I started organizing it, mic'ing, putting microphones around it..y'all know, regular studio stuff. I called the studio janitor to help me watch some levels and position some mikes to a tracking section we'll be having on saturday and then I thought 'Hey, I'll do some drums now and see..'. I put the metronome and started playing some stuff and..hell, I can still play with that tic tac thing on my ear :D

I am not bragging AT ALL. Like I said, I am by no means a drummer. I lack the groove of a real drummer and that comes with lots of practice. What I can't understand is HOW THE FUCK 90% OF THE DRUMMERS I RECORD CAN'T PLAY TO THE FUCKING METRONOME!!!!!! (and that probably apply to most of you). Dude, for any musician, playing to the metronome should be as simple as counting one, two, three four. I just image the wife/girlfriend of those drummers, getting fucked with no rhythm whatsoever - must be 'some' fun.

Really, seriously, I can't understand. Saturday I'll be tracking one of these drummers...he called me two days ago all nervous because he hasn't played with the click track for 5 years and...I don't understand it. Really. (I'll be recording the guide tracks before to help him, tho'..)

(btw, I am no click track nazi, but w/o it, IMO, the drummer should be really good or it will speed up and down like a... drummer speeding up and down :lol:)

Some people can catch, some can't.
Some guy's can wank with their left hand, some can't.
Some guy's can wipe their crack with their left hand, some can't.
Some guys can play to a click, some can't.

everybody can fap with the left hand. Concentration + practice.
everybody can wipe the ass with the left hand. I broke my finger when I was a kid, got a big cast on my right hand, learned it in two days. And I am no superhuman or great anything.

I won't even say someone needs practice to play to a click. Just concentration and breaking down the beat - I accept any excuse from a noob drummer. But for a guy that has played for 5, 6, 10 years, sorry, I can't.

Clicknazis
lol

Where I come from, the drummer keeps time, not the computer.

I come from another world, one filled with googly eyed tentacle monsters that tickle your ribs and force feed you hash brownies until you are comatose. ;)

cornish-flag.gif