Drummer and Metronome

Deebo

Dirty Man-Horse
Jan 14, 2008
Utah
Hey everybody My drummer is having troubles staying with the metronome while recording and I don't really know how to explain how to record with a metronome to him can anyone give me and him some tips in order to keep tight with the metronome and kind of tips will be appreciated thanks.

That's exactly what I was gonna say, double up the metronome speed or just make it eighth notes instead of quarters... Be sure that your drummer knows his parts and all the changes without needing the guitars to back it up. This allows him to focus on the click more than the backing track of the guitar, which should just be a helpful guideline. Beyond knowing all the parts inside out, it's just practicing with a click that helps.

depends on the drummer, chaning the note pattern might help, and of course knowing what scheme is used, eg 3/4 or 7/8, can help alot

BUT

if he cant play on click, he wont learn it in the studio, he needs to practise. i personally do not record drummers who cant play on click. (only if the hole band is playing live!!!)

"can you play tight on click?!"
"yeah i think so, should be no problem.."

actually he cant...

Also, try changing the metronome sound.

Some drummers like to use a cowbell sound. Some like a hihat. Some like that horrible "BLIPP!" sound. :)

[protools talk]
I like to set up 1 bar of shaker for 1/8 notes and Sidestick for 1/4 notes. Set the tracks to tick based, region group, then looptool to the end. Tempo changes will adjust spacing between regions automatically. Remember to make that first sidestick louder than the rest.

You can get creative and sidechain the click plugin with a signal generator so you can get an adjustable tone.
[/protools talk]

depends on the drummer, chaning the note pattern might help, and of course knowing what scheme is used, eg 3/4 or 7/8, can help alot

BUT

if he cant play on click, he wont learn it in the studio, he needs to practise. i personally do not record drummers who cant play on click. (only if the hole band is playing live!!!)

"can you play tight on click?!"
"yeah i think so, should be no problem.."

actually he cant...

i agree the studio is not the place for learning to play to a click track. if posible have him set up some PA speakers at home, run a portable metronome through it and practice at least an hour a day at different tempos.

i agree the studio is not the place for learning to play to a click track. if posible have him set up some PA speakers at home, run a portable metronome through it and practice at least an hour a day at different tempos.

I'd say partice all the time with a metronome ! Drummers and guitarists. If you play without, it's "playing" not particing...

our drummer is a click machine!!!
we practice with it and play live with it.
god he's easy to record!

our drummer is a click machine!!!
we practice with it and play live with it.
god he's easy to record!

HEAVEN.
I tried recording our drummer today.

I had spent all day a few days ago setting up clicks and guide guitar/vocal tracks. Then he comes in and fucks it all up.

I'm pissed as hell, but you know, I'm staying at his house for free so it's kinda hard to tell him that it's his fault. :erk:

lol god i hate drummers that cant play to a click, recorded a dude the other day who was just a fuckin dream he did six tracks in only a couple of hours with 3-4 takes on each song it was fukin awesome i wanted to buy him an award or something.

FUUUUKCKAKES

It was my fault.
A long time ago I had changed some buffer settings and shit, but didn't change my latency compensation or whatever.
I just now found out. I thought it was just him being off, but it was the fucking latency fucking up everybody.

I'm glad I found out, I was so completely pissed at everyone.

Hey everybody My drummer is having troubles staying with the metronome while recording and I don't really know how to explain how to record with a metronome to him can anyone give me and him some tips in order to keep tight with the metronome and kind of tips will be appreciated thanks.

Yeah, say: "LEARN HOW TO COUNT TO FOUR, YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER!!!"

Seriously, have him practice on his own with a metronome or a CD of one. No point trying to record a drummer who hasn't practiced to a metronome.

A simple advice - for sure no big deal, but some dramas might find it helpfull:

Try to make the click go away - not to listen to it!
Imagine you're playing the click, just like you would do playing air-drums (or -guitar) in a disco... (the 2nd one is actually good for practice, might not be recommendable whilst recording).

Good luck :heh:

spot on.
its all about burying the click.
knowing when it'll be,anticipating it; and playing on top of it, not reacting to it

spot on.
its all about burying the click.
knowing when it'll be,anticipating it; and playing on top of it, not reacting to it

Indeed.. Because if you only react to it then you are already too late :)
I record alot of keyboards to click and it took me some time to realize just that.