ANDY question about drummers and timing

prowlergrig said:
^then i guess it helps to use some more natural sounding samples for the metronome instead of the irritating and artificial beep :p
I've always found using a simple kick and snare to be very effective, and easier to play along to than a beep or clank.

from your avatar i get you're a guitarist... i figure for drummers, it's harder to play along to samples that sound too much like their own instrument. the metronome has to stand out in their ears, by being somewhat different sounding to what they are playing

a cowbell sound can work nicely. for what its worth, im a drummer and the only way to really play with a click is for the drummer to practice with it, period. this can vary in time depending on the drummer. i think an average drummer is gonna need to bust his ass practicing with a click for at least a few months before they will be natural with it. im sure some people might be able to do it naturally or master it faster. but most drummers have to break themselves down and relearn proper timing both in general and their own material. this scares the hell out of drummers because its alot of work. but its the only way to do it.

prowlergrig said:
^then i guess it helps to use some more natural sounding samples for the metronome instead of the irritating and artificial beep :p

absolutely.

i use a wooden-block sound. it doesn't sound like one of his (or her...... pfft lmao) own drums so they don't get confused (bless 'em) and it make sense in their mind that they are playing with a percussionist who's playing the ...er ...wooden block.

every band should have one!! :)