Practice Space for Drummers

Speedbor

New Metal Member
Aug 18, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Does anyone have any comments or advice on how drummers can find a practice space? I'm so sick of playing my practice pad set, it's like going to town on a blow-up doll. Anyway, Is there any advice on how to get a cost effective practice space? I've looked in the paper and put adds in the classifieds asking for a live-in practice space, however, nothing has come up. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

You may wanna give a "public storage" place a try. I have a friend that leaves his kit set up in a climate controlled storage facility and he goes & plays whenever he likes & locks it up when he's done. The only drawback is that he doesn't get 24 hour access, so he has to wrap up by 9:00pm, but its not that expensive for a small storage room. If for nothing else, its a good quick fix until you can find something better. Good luck!

Wow what a great idea. Im not yet moved out, but when i do i know my apartment building will not let me practice. I would KILL for an electronic drum-set, but the only decent ones cost at least $3,000. Very good idea. Thanks for answering my unasked question:)

You aren't kidding! Electronic drums are definitely the way to go if you can. They do get very pricey though. I bought a Roland V-Sessions series in March---since, I've expanded it with an extra p-120 pad & another cymbal, 2 450W Mackie monitors, etc...etc...etc..., & so far I'm into that kit for just over 8K. Its BY FAR the best "music investment" I've ever made. Those Rolands even make chumps like me sound like a pro!

So are Roland e drums the best? The problem is, I could get a new maple shell kit for around the price of a e drum kit, but then we go back into the harsh reality of a practice space with acoustic drums.

From what I've been told (by other drummers & drum retailers), the Rolands have the best rep for being the most durable set on the market with the most effects in the modules. I've seen/played other e-kits such as Yamaha & Pintech, and I wasn't as impressed. The pads (rock hard) didn't have as good of a return as the mesh material that the roland heads are made of---Whatever type of material the mesh heads are made from is outstanding! Also, they didn't have NEAR the amount of effects as the Roland TD10 module has. I've had the set for six months and am still just scratching the surface on what all it can sound like. I also think that the Rolands have alot better presentation than the yamaha's & Pintech's. They look more like acoustic drums---even the cymbals look like acoustic cymbals except they are black. Most of all, the Rolands sound simply INCREDIBLE! When you turn 'em on, it sounds like you're playing a kit that someone has spent DAYS in a studio fine tuning, micing up & mixing down each individual drum to obtain the PERFECT sound. Just a flick of a switch with the rolands.
Another really cool feature is that when you're recording in a studio with acoustic drums, you normally use AT LEAST 5 or 6 mics depending on how large your kit is. With e-drums all you run out to your board is (2 channels) a left out & right out, so you save alot of space on your board------the only catch is that you have to get your kit sounding the way you want it BEFORE you run it into your board, because if you try to EQ them with the mixing board, you end up EQing the entire kits' digital signal---you can't break it down drum by drum. That is yet to be a problem for me though....I just run my 2 drum channels on the board totally clean & use the module to set my sound & panning & stuff.
Something else: If you're looking at a demo V-drum kit at Rolands site or at a music store----don't be fooled... whatever price is being quoted, keep in mind that the price does not include a snare stand, a throne, kick pedals, monitors, or headphones. That can run you into some money too. On the flip side of the coin----you get what you pay for...... You can play them in your house or anywhere else at all hours & not have to shell out money for practice space, you'll never bust drum heads, never crack a cymbal, and only have to buy sticks once. I have beat the fuck out of these things and after 6 months, I don't even have so much as a scratch on my sticks, let alone the heads. Shit, they almost pay for themselves after a while!
There is alot of trade offs in the decision to get either acoustic drums or e-drums. You just gotta weigh out the good & the bad & see what works better for you. Good Luck MAn...Keep me posted.

Dr Philgood,

THanks for the e drum assesment. I didn't know that they were as durable and flexable to use as you say they are. Plus they're easy to carry around. I'll keep you posted. I need to generate a little more cash before I pick up a kit, though.