practice tips for extreme vocals

fat bastard

Nov 19, 2004
hi guys, i started taking voice lessons back in september but i would like to work on more extreme vocalizations. i think i know how to do them pretty much but i could use some advice on how to build endurance and practice without burning my voice out to quick. i go through a warmup/exercise tape when i practice vocals and then i break for a bit so my voice should be warmed up enough to give them a go but in past experimentations ive found myself losing my ability to distort my vocals after a song or two. i know that water is a key factor but should i start quieter to get myself accustomed to the demands of extreme singing before i raise the volume. im sure that breaks help too as i know how easy it can be to tire your voice even with normal singing. im not going for the shout/scream hardcore/thrash style so that should help a bit. any practise methods would be appreciated but im not looking so much for a "how to sing like" but rather some guidance on how to start a routine so i can develop my style.thanx ( by the way, i worship at the alters of ackerfelt,stanne,speed strid,friden,townsend,and tagtgren so i have no shortage of inspiration)

I highly reccomend warming on Iced Earth's Burnt Offerings first because it alternates heavily between distorted and clean vocals, climaxing with a massive scream before the solo section. Stamina is something that can only come with practice, next month you might be able to go 3 songs, and then 4. Just be sure that you try to make whatever sound come from deep in your chest, not the neck, and by the end your chest should feel sore the first few times, not your vocal cords.

I too am interested in starting to scream/growl like Mikael Arkerfeldt (Opeth), Thomas Lindberg (At The Gates), Dan Swano and the likes but I seem not to find any hints on how to do it without risking to damage throat. Also, could any of you tell me why are those warm-up exercises needed and mention a couple of good practises to do before singing/scream/growl?

Thank you :)

warm-ups for screaming/growling:
humming, growling (kinda like a dog or something like that) and simmilar stuff

its good to first get used to the vocals before using "full power". kinda like you should do warmup-exercises before doing sports to not hurt your muscles (or your throat in the case of metal-vocals)