Tips for inhaled vocals

NinjaGeek

Feb 22, 2007
Basically I know nothing about the proper technique for inhaled vocals, I just tried inhaling and making noise, and I can occasionally get some cool deep sounds that I think are in the ball park for what I'm aiming at, but sometimes I randomly switched to ugly high pitched inhaled vocals. Any tips on keeping the voice steady and getting a more brutal sound?

There's a massive thread for this somewhere else, but frankly it should really be in the Musician's Discussion anyhow...I think it was in the bloodbath forum.
That said, I really haven't a fucking clue as to your question, but I've been trying to teach myself death grunts for a while now with no results.

I could be wrong but I don't think the bloodbath forum covers inhaled vocals, just standard growls.

my little brother pulls out some pterodactyl style screams just like from Jurassic park i havent had a chace jam with him and a mic yet but im waiting

Inhaled vocals are actually extremely bad to do. Screw them and try to get the same result exhaling... its possible just gotta practice alot.

my tip would be...

dont inhale... its what silly bands do, and its mega quiet which means you have to turn your mic up really loud so all your vocals will be quiet and you'll just be another "spit whispering" kid.

listen to bloodbath, do those vocals sound quiet to you? nope

proper brutal death metal vocals arent quiet, they're damn loud!

and also, they always sound a bit crap by themselves, so try making some serious noise over the top of a loud backing track until you start to sound good

thats my advice anyway

it really doesn't sound that quiet to me, a bit quieter yes, but nothing huge.

Also bloodbath has kickass vocals, but they're not exactly what I'd call brutal.

my tip would be...

dont inhale... its what silly bands do, and its mega quiet which means you have to turn your mic up really loud so all your vocals will be quiet and you'll just be another "spit whispering" kid.

listen to bloodbath, do those vocals sound quiet to you? nope

proper brutal death metal vocals arent quiet, they're damn loud!

and also, they always sound a bit crap by themselves, so try making some serious noise over the top of a loud backing track until you start to sound good

thats my advice anyway

You know how it is!

metal vox do sound really odd without music. Music fills in the open gaps with low pass frequencies which makes them sound alot more fitting.

it's good to see there are lots of elitists up in here today.

i say, use whatever you can to your advantage. if you can make inhales sound good, go for it.