ANDY question about drummers and timing

Carcass29

3oIF
Sep 21, 2005
New York
I know you work with professional drummers and when it's time to record, a metronome is used.....My question is, my drummer has been playing on an off for 16 years and I noticed when we practice or play live....he rushes his fills or sometimes he gets too fast during steady paced parts. Any way to prevent him from rushing? He dosen't think he's going to fast...but I do notice it and call him out on it. Does he need to practice with a metronome? Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh...and I also forgot to mention he plays very loud! He can't even hear the tic toc...even with headphones, it's just part of his style how he plays.

Carcass29 said:
Oh...and I also forgot to mention he plays very loud! He can't even hear the tic toc...even with headphones, it's just part of his style how he plays.
give him some headphones with good isolation. if he still says he cant hear it then hes lying.

Yeah, give him cans with good outside noise reduction, and crank the headphone amp if need be. Drummers do get loud, so it's understandable. You won't get him playing to an actual acoustic metronome that's for sure...

It took me a month to get my drummer to understand the concept of bringing the tempo down to ridiculously slow, practising and keeping on doing the excersise/break/whatever at gradually higher tempos (in steps of 5 bpm) untill he got up to speed and even a bit faster. Once he did that with one break and found out that he now NEVER misses a beat when he plays it, he's trying to do it with everything else. Great improvement. It's amazing how impatient drummers can be!!! And about the metronome: it's vital for any instrumentalist, but for drummers it should be an extension of their mind.

abigailwilliams said:
give him some headphones with good isolation. if he still says he cant hear it then hes lying.

The last drummer I worked with had trouble hearing the click in rehersal with both Shure in-ears and Sennheiser HD280 Pros, the latter of which have something like 30+ dB of isolation. :eek:

Granted, he was something of an exception to the rule; he has a custom Peace kit that's just stupid loud and he breaks sticks something fierce. He's got serious chops, but a reputation as the loudest drummer on the local scene. I suppose the click didn't really matter, as I couldn't hear the synths anyway.

Lord Lurion said:
it's vital for any instrumentalist, but for drummers it should be an extension of their mind.

I think in that sense I was very lucky for my first session to be with a band whose rhythm guitarist was amazingly tight. I could swear that open E string was like his hi-hat :lol:. Drummer did the whole track in 2 takes as well.

It gets kind of odd when I hear people talking about these musicians that can't even play their own songs. Kind of makes me anxious as to when I'll run into guys like that and learn to overcome such problems.

hi,
i am drummer myself and i'm rushing things now and then
he should practice with a metronome (a lot)
and when tracking : quantize

Benny H said:
Keep in mind that it is harder to hear a click if you're playing to it well...

It's kinda the aim of the game actually

true

when drummmers actually try to listen to the click, they end up speeding up or slowing down. this happens because they are listening for the click, which means they end up playing slightly either side of it so it can still be heard.

i find that what helps is to tell the drummer to imagine that the click is actually another percussionist who is playing in real time with them. this puts the drummer in a 'rehearsal' frame of mind rather than a 'recording' frame of mind, and it's one in which they are much more comfortable. when you give an inexperienced drummer a click, they feel like they are being 'challenged' by the technology, and like they are fighting against an automated process, which they can't win!!

when they imagine they are playing with another human being, they find it much easier to relax and play in time. i think this is because they lose the feeling of insecurity that for once it's not themselves dictating the tempo!