Drummer and Metronome

lol, I recorded my drumming for the first time a few days ago....lets just say that i'll be using ALL of this advice. One thing tho: the biggest problem for me seemed to be getting consistency out of the snare. Is this something that has to be rectified after the fact? Or is it simply that the hits should be more consistent? Since I'm used to just jamming, I guess my ear isn;t tuned to all the fluctuation in sound.

Two more questions: Is it better to use an O ring? And is there a significant difference in using a mic on both top and bottom skins for the snare? Or is it similar to using just one on the top?

sorry for the long post

Flal said:
One thing tho: the biggest problem for me seemed to be getting consistency out of the snare. Is this something that has to be rectified after the fact? Or is it simply that the hits should be more consistent?

Consistent how? volume, speed, power, tone, how?

VOLUME/POWER: I don't play drums myself anymore because I busted my wrist some years ago (but as I tried last year in FME, I can still get over 850 beats in a minute with double pedals), but I usually played so that when I hit the snare, the snare was as flat as possible compared to my hitting angle of my left stick, but so that it did not hit the rim. If you are rollin in cash and if you are looking for that AC/DC power to sound of your strokes with roughly the same amount of force, make the snare angle even more flat so that you will hit rimshots all the time. Do note, that this method of playing is a bit slower to play and destroys the sticks very easily. Real life example: I am mixing two band on regular basis, Ancara and Major Label. The drummer on Ancara destroyed 7 sticks during last show because he uses rimshots, Major Labels drummer hasn't broken a single stick since 2006 AFAIK (and I mixed him for 31 gigs last year and prolly had about +150 hours of practice on top of that, in 2007 alone). So if you want that your sticks will last for either 60 minutes or 60 hours, is up to you.

SPEED: if you can't get your hitspeed consistent, try to adjust your playing style and just use less power. Remember, don't do any radical changes because it will most propably just mess your playing style completely. Try to make your rebounds faster and use only slightly less power, usually so that you won't get all tired after the song is thru even if you would play it for 15 minutes straight. Also just simply playing less (if possible) usually helps a lot. Even Children of Bodom doesn't blast away all the time

TONE: This one is either the simplest or the most hardest one, depending on how good player you are. Get your drumstick, hit around the center of the snare, and try to find the sweetest sounding spot. When you find it, take a big black marker and mark the spot by drawing a X or O or what ever you want, and hit that spot everytime possible. Make it as small as possible and just practise more.

And is there a significant difference in using a mic on both top and bottom skins for the snare? Or is it similar to using just one on the top?

YES, there is a huge difference. Bottom mic gets the rattle from the wiremat which can add a lot of agressiviness more easily than from the top mic alone. But alone the bottom mic usually sounds pretty horrible

lol was recording with Chris Tsangarides over the past week, has been fucking awesome! we all set up the click but worked out our stuff grooves better when playing slightly off it. so then we have a thing called 'playing and keeping in the pocket' the idea is to play to the track but to play smoothly and in time even if you go out with the click, and if you can stay in the pocket you will find the track will groove more. so have the click there as like a subliminal time keeping in the long run... i dunno if this makes sense but i hope you guys understand lol