A question which I have recently thought of. Why, and why not?

Will Bozarth

Everlasting Godstopper
Jan 26, 2002
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
We all know that a band's first album is called their "debut". We also know that their second album is called their "sophomore effort". Why is it that their third album is not called their "junior support"? Why is it that their fourth album is not called their "senior work"? Even with this being so, why did they skip the freshman year? You can't be a sophomore without ever being a freshman. That is, unless you are quite smart and skipped a few grades. If the band goes past the four albums, then what? You had the debut and the sophomore. There really is no name for third or fourth, other than what they really are. Their third and fourth records/releases. What the hell?

*4 more*

well sophomore in the adjective sense (i.e. sophomore effort) means second

i think the etymology is from greek, and part means wise, and part means foolish, so maybe it means, a little more mature, but still a ways to go in learning, and that would make sense in applying it to schools.

I'm not surprised.

Dragon thanks for giving the all caps a rest, but every word doesn't need to be capitalized!:loco:

dead6skin6mask6 said:
We all know that a band's first album is called their "debut". We also know that their second album is called their "sophomore effort". Why is it that their third album is not called their "junior support"? Why is it that their fourth album is not called their "senior work"? Even with this being so, why did they skip the freshman year? You can't be a sophomore without ever being a freshman. That is, unless you are quite smart and skipped a few grades. If the band goes past the four albums, then what? You had the debut and the sophomore. There really is no name for third or fourth, other than what they really are. Their third and fourth records/releases. What the hell?

*4 more*
you are insane.
-neal

Wouldn't it really be a little too much to give every release a special name. Some bands go on and do 20 or 30 albums. The first two are just very important for a band, because the first is supposed to represent the very beginning of the band and the second is supposed to represent their coming into their own. The third and after is just them taking the music a step further every time.

Yeah, whats wrong with 2nd album, or second release?

Blabbermouth always use that sophomore word. I dont know why, it doesnt make them more intelligent