A question?

May 9, 2003
I know that the guys from Zero Hour (except the singer) also have the band Death Machine. But I am wondering if one band is less important than the other, in other words if the guys concentrate more on one band or the other. Or maybe they give both bands the same amount of attention. Also, I haven't heard Death Machine but it seems to me like it is more of a death metal style rather than prog metal. I could be wrong though. Anyway, if it is more a death metal style I just think that it is strange to have 2 different bands with such different sounds, or does Death Machine's sound have a less thrashy sound than most death metal groups? I am just a bit confused? It seems Death Machine is more popular than Zero Hour.

i think its ok to go with a different group and a different style of music. its not natural per se. cuz its hard for some music fans today because of today's standards of brand loyalty, meaning, there is comfort in knowing and getting along with one band and what they bring to the table.

but sometimes you see other bands branching out, doing side projects, producing and even outright changing their image. like metallica or the gathering.

as an artists one would want to have a freedom of doing other things and trying other things. probably as you say there could be a preference of one to the other.

now the interesting question is what do the fans think? which do they prefer!?

oh yeah, i think death machine has the attitude of death metal but sometimes sound like hardcore and prog

:p

Variety is the spice of life. I for one feel happy that the band members are willing to go down different musical paths. Sometimes when reading peoples thoughts I hear this fear that Zero Hour or Death Machine might be no more. I think there is room for both projects and I am glad that the band members are capable of producing such a wide variety of music.
Zero hour and Death Machine rule
Spatch

I think what Spatch and Hyper's replies are perfect because we wanted to do something different from ZH. I love Zero Hour and wouldn't want to do a Zero Hour 2 band. That's not right to the fans or ourselves. The whole thing with Death MAchine is we like that style as well. Zero Hour has down time and Mikey, Troy and I want to keep our chops up. By doing thay we created a different band. We love both bands and can do both. I just got home from recording all my pre-recorded guitar tracks for the Zero Hour disc after De-Evolution. So even though it is taking awhile on Erik's part, I still put alot of effort into ZH. I love both bands and will continue to do both. Plus I'm doing a New Age-Jazz-Prog guitar CD (Night's Pulse) If i'm not doing music I feel lazy. Great post and great comments guys, YOU RULE!!!!

Jasun/ZH

ZHJ&T said:
I think what Spatch and Hyper's replies are perfect because we wanted to do something different from ZH. I love Zero Hour and wouldn't want to do a Zero Hour 2 band. That's not right to the fans or ourselves. The whole thing with Death MAchine is we like that style as well. Zero Hour has down time and Mikey, Troy and I want to keep our chops up. By doing thay we created a different band. We love both bands and can do both. I just got home from recording all my pre-recorded guitar tracks for the Zero Hour disc after De-Evolution. So even though it is taking awhile on Erik's part, I still put alot of effort into ZH. I love both bands and will continue to do both. Plus I'm doing a New Age-Jazz-Prog guitar CD (Night's Pulse) If i'm not doing music I feel lazy. Great post and great comments guys, YOU RULE!!!!

Jasun/ZH
jazzy guitar cd, that looks cool! just for the record i do prefer zero hour to Death machine , the towers of avarice is just a superb prog cd, probably my favorite prog metal cd!
i totally agree about being able to do more than 1 style of music, i am a musician myself(or wannabe if you wanna call that lol) and i love so many styles of music that is kinda limiting to be doing the same thing all the time. i have a death metal band and i'm doing a solo project of ambient/classical music...very different feelings....doing music is just rewarding even if very few people have the opportunity of listening to what you do(in my case):tickled:

Mike Amott and Bill Steer seem to be doing quite well doing more than one band and genre, even. There are a lot of Death/Black/Thrash/Metal bands from Europe that cross borders and return again.

97reb said:
Mike Amott and Bill Steer seem to be doing quite well doing more than one band and genre, even. There are a lot of Death/Black/Thrash/Metal bands from Europe that cross borders and return again.
is bill steer doing anything else ? i though he was only in firebird now...unless you're refering to his glorius past too, carcass :headbang:

Yes, Bill's past plus his great present. I was not such a huge fan of carcass, but Firebird is really soulful and rocking (in an early 70's way of rocking). Any comment's on Mike Amott and his versatile career?

97reb said:
Yes, Bill's past plus his great present. I was not such a huge fan of carcass, but Firebird is really soulful and rocking (in an early 70's way of rocking). Any comment's on Mike Amott and his versatile career?
hmm, well i am a huge carcass fan, one of my favorite bands for sure, but i'm not too fond of mike's work except what he did in carcass of course, arch enemy is pretty week and its the only of his bands i know well.
about firebird i listen to one album of them one time and i didn't like it much then, the stoner rock thing isn't for me i guess, i will give it another try just because its bill, he is still one of my heros:tickled:

to each their own. I love the stoner/doom rock/metal groups and in a different direction, I am going to see Opeth again this Saturday. When Opeth get heavy, they get heavy. When they prog, they prog. That's why I like them, they can do both. I don't like all Cookie Monster vocal bands and I don't like all prog bands. Just be as open minded as possible and listen to as much as you can stomach.

97reb said:
to each their own. I love the stoner/doom rock/metal groups and in a different direction, I am going to see Opeth again this Saturday. When Opeth get heavy, they get heavy. When they prog, they prog. That's why I like them, they can do both. I don't like all Cookie Monster vocal bands and I don't like all prog bands. Just be as open minded as possible and listen to as much as you can stomach.
yeh man, i love opeth and i love prog rock too, one of my fave genres, king crimson and genesis are among my all time favorite bands! i am pretty open minded i think, i listen to metal,classical,ambient/some electronic(in the ambient vein),all things prog,some jazz,some pop like peter gabriel(he rules!) ...i'm always trying to find new kinds of music that suits me.
stoner rock isn't my thing cuz i'm not to fond of that kind of riffs and feel ...
i can't like everything:D

Its good to read such open minded views, the great thing about music is that it is such a subjective view point. For instance I will listen to prog metal, prog, fusion, world music, some mellow jazz stuff ( Pat Methany), as well as rock acts like Jeff Buckley and Nick Cave. I like the way music grows and there is always something new to discover
Spatch

spatch said:
Its good to read such open minded views, the great thing about music is that it is such a subjective view point. For instance I will listen to prog metal, prog, fusion, world music, some mellow jazz stuff ( Pat Methany), as well as rock acts like Jeff Buckley and Nick Cave. I like the way music grows and there is always something new to discover
Spatch
exactly ! its just a great feeling when i discover great music that i have never heard before.always listening to the same kinda stuff gets boring....

Neurotic said:
exactly ! its just a great feeling when i discover great music that i have never heard before.always listening to the same kinda stuff gets boring....
Yes always cool to hear new stuff. I think the net has made it a lot eaiser to find decent new material, that is how I discovered bands like Zero Hour and Spiral Architect. It helps to get an more informed choice. I used to buy 3 or 4 albums every week to get my fix of new music, I have now managed to cut it down to about one a week!
Spatch

spatch said:
Yes always cool to hear new stuff. I think the net has made it a lot eaiser to find decent new material, that is how I discovered bands like Zero Hour and Spiral Architect. It helps to get an more informed choice. I used to buy 3 or 4 albums every week to get my fix of new music, I have now managed to cut it down to about one a week!
Spatch
definetely, without the net i would never have found so many bands, zero hour included. this way i don't buy cds based on other peoples reviews, i listen to the albums first and if i dig it i buy it.:cool:

I had their cds downloaded and then was able to see them live at Propower US a couple years ago. At the show I bought both of 'em (self-titled and Towers)at the stand. Fortunate to get both signed, too. I still have to get Metomorphis and can't wait to get the new one. :headbang: