A quick Arch Enemy question

korpse pop

Horde of Undead Vengeance
Jun 22, 2005
I was wathing some live videos by them and noticed they play the old songs transposed one half step up. So they changed their tuning to C in some point of their career, does anyone know why they did this? And does anyone know what string gauges they used on their older albums (in B-tuning) ? Their website says they use D'Addario (11, 15, 18, 32, 44, 59 - custom set) for C-tuning.

They prob did it to get a little more tension on the strings. I used to play tuned to B and found the strings just a little too loose, especially for bends and fast gallop type picking. I'm up to C now.

But some of the newer stuff is in Bb if i remember right, such as savage messiah, i also wanna know what pickups/guitars they had back then, i loved the flying v with a floyd one of the brothers is using in the bury me an angel video.

"They prob did it to get a little more tension on the strings."

...I think they have changed their tuning to C because they wanted a different sound. If you wanna more string tension it's better to get an heavier gauge set.

Arch Enemy used B tuning for the CDs with Johan and then C for most of the new stuff except for:
Savage messiah and Behind the smile (Bb)
leader of the Rats (Bb or Drop Bb I don't know)
Instinct, Dehumanization, and the covers Symphony of destruction and Incarnated Solvent Abuse (A)

maybe some other stuff. And the reason the moved up to C? I remember reading somewhere that it was to get a little bit of a tighter sound. I think it was also mentioned that B was begining to seem a little to low to play in all the time.

when playing in C they use the gauge: