A request (probably futile) to all music/clip posters...

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Could you guys PLEASE refrain from posting your music/clips as any format other than 16/44.1? I know you want the quality and blah blah blah but (to me anyway) it's just such a hassle to wait for my DAW to load up, create a session, and import the song just to listen to the goddamn thing. 16/44.1 WAV is better, high-bitrate mp3 is ideal, and if you think the tiny amount of high-end warping (that occurs less and less the more you go above 192 kbps) is ruining your mix than maybe the format isn't the problem.

That's the end of my laziness rant. Carry on!

Might be less hassle to use a wave editor to open 24bit files.
There is one called Wavosaur thats free.

I don't remember specifically, I just know there have been times where I've downloaded 'em (Kazrog & LSD come to mind as having been guilty parties in the past, among others :) )

The way I see it is that the end product is likely going to end up in mp3 format anyhow, so all my stuff is posted at 192kbps.

why not just record that way then :Smug:

to summarize this thread:
export your mix from your DAW as a 16 bit, 44.1khz standard wav file
convert to MP3 with a bit rate of 160-320kbps
upload somewhere
link us
hope we actually listen.

I'm thinking he means anytime someone posts something for us to listen to on here, it's easier if it's a 16/44.1 higher quality mp3.

In that case, I agree. Most of my listening to clips posted here is at work on a regular desktop with headphones. I like to hear LSD and Kazrog's stuff, but if it doesn't load into Windows Media Player, I can't. 24 bit doesn't work.

Yep, absolutely right Nwright & AudioGeekZine, you guys summed it up perfectly - and yes, I am referring to ANYTHING people post (if that bothers you, see my first post :) )

hmm, my WMP gives me errors on 24 bit files saying I'm missing a codec...When it says "click here to download codec" I do, but nothing ever happens. And, the page it links to doesn't tell me much. I don't use any other media player (most are blocked at work so I can't DL).

Yep, same here - and just to clarify, obviously I'm only referring to stuff people want us to listen to, not things like DI guitar files for reamping, where of course they need to be wavs.

true, I've uploaded short 24 bit clips of guitar (and that's the only stuff I'm posting as 24bit...besides samples and DI) cause I didn't want to change anything in the recording (not even add dither etc) to keep it as raw as possible....
since when can't winamp open 24 bit?
I'm on a mac and both, iTunes and Quicktime, play 24bit w/o a problem (so does VLC), no need to import into a DAW.
I've posted the same clip in a non-producers-forum and none of them (although no DAW present) had trouble opening 24bit ;)
dunno about the winamp and mediaplayer, but I'd see if an update of the players fixes the issue, they should be able to play 24 bit

I don`t use winamp by this reason - it just can`t play 24 (it plays, but sound weird), so I found a much smaller app that does not suffer from this.
Don`t like idea that I need to search for solution, even ASIO out in winamp worked weird...

I don't remember specifically, I just know there have been times where I've downloaded 'em (Kazrog & LSD come to mind as having been guilty parties in the past, among others :) )

Dude, all you have to do is just use column view in the Finder and you can play files of any format/resolution. No DAW launch necesarry.