relevant to music buz in general, incl. production

Hmmm... Vinyl was copyable, we did it all the time back in the day.

Obviously. But there was generation loss & you had to make 1-1 copies.

The point was, these days it's much easier to distribute those copies.

As for a better format, it would have been nice to see DSD take off.

I'm not sure I understand what was the deal with ahjteam's picture and what he was trying to show...

I've never taken a song I have bought from iTunes and looked at the waveform but I know that I have a couple of mp3s of songs that I own the cds for and they are the same volume when played through Quicktime or iTunes or in my truck.

Secondly, I'd be extremely surprised if anybody could tell the difference from even a 256kbps mp3 and a 16/44.1 wav. 256kbps mp3's are substantially smaller in file size to the same file in wav form. I'd still be surprised if anyone could tell the difference with 192 encoding...

~006

Secondly, I'd be extremely surprised if anybody could tell the difference from even a 256kbps mp3 and a 16/44.1 wav. 256kbps mp3's are substantially smaller in file size to the same file in wav form. I'd still be surprised if anyone could tell the difference with 192 encoding...

~006

THANK YOU. Then again, neither of us are listening in perfectly treated rooms with $1000+ speakers, but still, I've never been able to tell a difference, certainly not one that hampers my enjoyment of the music...

It is an impossible argument to win but the "superiority" of vinyl has always been suspect-- particularly since the exact same slammed CD masters are often used for both the CD and vinyl versions in the case of indie labels.

What I have never understood is why the hybrid sacd never caught on. It will play in a regular player, it will play higher resolution files if you have an appropriate player (or PS3) and the cost difference is negligible. IMO the favoring of vinyl over an improved cd demonstrates that it is more an issue of selling to collectors than it has anything to do with fidelity.