Interesting video w. Steven Wilson incl. production, songwriting...

abyssofdreams

knows what you think.
Sep 30, 2002
Germany
www.abyssofdreams.com
Direct download in high quality, around 200mb
http://www.bonedo.de/video/sv500x/b33d0644875cd47082efdd1bf2981819/Workshop_StevenWilson_neu.flv
(You need a video player supporting the Flash format)

or watch the streaming version here:
http://www.bonedo.de/workshop/gitar...even-wilsonporcupine-tree/workshop/index.html
(scroll down for the video, there's also a PDF with notes included)

I found it to be very entertaining, also interesting to hear him say that he uses a lot of guitartone plugins on the records :)

His whole mannerisms come across very "artsy" ... I had to turn it off after the 3rd question.

thats very him.

I am kind of disappointed that he doesnt know what hes doing and doesnt care at all. Hes pro and a little music theory knowledge doesnt hurt, its actually releaving.

well he clearly makes a distinction between those who write from a technical perspective and those who write with feelings and emotions.
he's obviously one in the latter category, so are Akerfeldt and so forth. I absolutely agree with him on everything he says.
it doesn't matter if you know the name of the chords whatsoever, the music itself is what counts.

an artist shouldn't overthink whether or not this and that SHOULD/MUST go together rather then just let it flow = creative music

I feel attracted to this kind of music and I'd take Opeth, Anathema, Katatonia, Porcupine Tree over Dream Theater any day because of that :p

well he clearly makes a distinction between those who write from a technical perspective and those who write with feelings and emotions.
he's obviously one in the latter category, so are Akerfeldt and so forth. I absolutely agree with him on everything he says.
it doesn't matter if you know the name of the chords whatsoever, the music itself is what counts.

an artist shouldn't overthink whether or not this and that SHOULD/MUST go together rather then just let it flow = creative music

I feel attracted to this kind of music and I'd take Opeth, Anathema, Katatonia, Porcupine Tree over Dream Theater any day because of that :p

I absolutely 100% agree.

Amen brother!

You guys act as if writing pretentious prog rock shite like Porcupine Tree's music is the epitomy of all spontaneity and raw emotion.
Fuck me sideways..

I really do not like Steven Wilson. RARWAHRAGWRGAW
His voice, his accent, his mannerisms, his arty-farty pretentious cuntishness.

I doubt he'd like me that much either, so fuck it haha.

Steven Wilson is pretty awesome imo. Off to see Porcupine Tree later this year with the new album release. Nice find buddy ! Ty

You guys act as if writing pretentious prog rock shite like Porcupine Tree's music is the epitomy of all spontaneity and raw emotion.
Fuck me sideways..

No, but Wilson brings up the point that writing music doesn't really have anything to do with having any technical knowledge. I don't know how that is qualifying his statements as the epitomy of spontaneity and raw emotion.

Not really sure why it is appropriate to come into this thread and make stupid comments because you dislike his music. God forbid someone say something negative about Paramore :cry:

I agree with everything you said, and yet can't stand any of the bands you listed :lol:

Steve

I'd be all like
"that's cool bro"
paramore are just a pop band at the end of the day that i happen to really really enjoy
steven wilson actually seems to get really fucking arty farty
and yeah i agree that technicality and theory has fuck all to do with good song writing and genuine emotion, but steven wilsons too up his own arse for my liking

you can write very emotional music and make it even better thanks to a better knowledge of your instrument and music theory. it helps to understand better what you're doing. its not bad or dangerous. its great to let your ideas move you and write very instictive music but its also nicee to spice up thanks to a good music knowledge.

but thats only my opinion.

about the whole "knowing what you're doing kills the feelilng" debate...

if dali had never done his homework, he would have never ever be able to transfer his thoughts into art.
there is a german saying :
kunst kommt von können - "art is derived from being able to do something" (sorry, its hard to translate, hehe)

there is really nothing wrong with knowing what you're doing.
you have to know the rules, to break'em ... thats what i think.
especially in music theory can get you very far, but you should never write a song, a melody, a harmonic progression,
because it works "in theory". it has to sound, thats for sure.

i feel that artists not knowing what they are doing become very repetative after a short time.

I'd be all like
"that's cool bro"
paramore are just a pop band at the end of the day that i happen to really really enjoy
steven wilson actually seems to get really fucking arty farty
and yeah i agree that technicality and theory has fuck all to do with good song writing and genuine emotion, but steven wilsons too up his own arse for my liking

He is quite an artsy fartsy fellow but, I think he just comes across... wrong.

Check out his solo album:
Steven Wilson - Insurgentes

I had never even heard of the dude until I saw this video and reading an interview with in in TapeOp that very same day. Glad I did.

Insurgentes is the closest thing I've found to NIN - The Fragile, in the way that it moves me. I still would NOT put it above The Fragile in terms of epicness and god like qualities but, it's a really good fucking album!

He is quite an artsy fartsy fellow but, I think he just comes across... wrong.

Check out his solo album:
Steven Wilson - Insurgentes

I had never even heard of the dude until I saw this video and reading an interview with in in TapeOp that very same day. Glad I did.

Insurgentes is the closest thing I've found to NIN - The Fragile, in the way that it moves me. I still would NOT put it above The Fragile in terms of epicness and god like qualities but, it's a really good fucking album!
Insurgentes is a very very good but very derivative album. If you like it, you should check out Portishead and Scott Walker for sure.

As for the whole Steve Wilson debate, he does come off as very pretentious sometimes, and he gets on my nerves but he's written a lot of outstanding music. His discography is actually really uneven though... but on the whole he's a solid composer, asshole or not.