Best orchestral metal production?

Probably not exactly what you were looking for but Metallica's S&M can give you some ideas of things you might like since we're all familiar with the untouched originals. Therion and Rhapsody of Fire could be worth a listen to also.

What's the best sounding orchestral metal record you know of?

I might get alot of hate for this considering they aren't balls to the wall heavy, but my favorite by far is still Bone Palace Ballet by Chiodos. The strings are pristine.

Rage - "Speak of the Dead" is pretty cool

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTnnWdd2lCA&feature=related[/ame]

not the huges or best orchestra, but I think its mixed pretty perfectly and has the right "size" for the mix
also liking the mix a lot

I've already got Abrahadabra and the Septic Flesh record. They aren't really what I'm after.

Are you after actual orchestral shit (Epica, Turisas), or just metal with string samples behind it (most of what's been posted).

Either way, consider;

Bloodstained Endurance by Trail of Tears
Night Eternal by Moonspell
The 13th Floor by Sirenia
Rekreatur by Equilibrium

I personally don't like Dark Passion Play's orchestras. They sound better than synth strings ofc but the arrangement sounds just like every metal keyboard player with string patch.
Septic Flesh - Persepolis is kickass!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlom58cdyzs

I disagree, the orchestration and conducting was done by someone with experience in those fields (Pip Williams). Doesn't sound anything like a keyboardist with a string patch due to the interleaving of instrumental parts, along with the timbres created through combinations. Don't get that with a string patch. To hear orchestra sound like it was done with a string patch, listen to pre-orchestra Nightwish, as that was done by their keyboardist.

To me, nothing beats this. It´s the best orchestral metal album of all time. The music can be chessy for many of you but the arrangements are beyond awesome, and the arrangements are done by the keyboardist and the guitar player of the band not someone from outside.

This album is quite good too.

Unfortunately last albuns suck IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
No love in this thread for Fleshgod Apocalypse? The orchestral parts in their albums are wicked.

Thanks guys. There's some new stuff here for me to check out. Can't wait.

Mostly I'm looking for an 'expensive' production sound like the Nightwish record. Real orchestra, arrangements written around the orchestration, not just metal riffing with synths thrown on top. I want to hear the extent of balancing that's been achieved in busy arrangements like that. I'm doing a lot of work in the genre this year, and I need to load up on all possible perspective. It's an extremely hard job from a mix perspective, hence why most of the records in this genre feel like they have something missing... like everything is too thin just to make way for all the layers to even be heard.

Probably gonna get massively flamed for this, especially as a newbie, but regardless of how un-metal people may consider them or how ____ they may look... Check out 3:45-4:45 of this song? I think it was recorded by Andy Wallace with a full orchestra and choir, though I could well be wrong.

Google those two names Ermz. Sascha Paeth & Michael "Miro" Rodenberg. They are partners at the Gate Studios, Wolfsburg. They're responsible for almost all well known symphonic metal albums. Sascha is the producer and Miro is the Orchestration guy. Rhapsody, Kamelot, Edguy, Avantasia, Angra, Shamaan, Epica, Aina etc. All those bands have keyboard players but they let Miro do the Orchestration mostly. He also plays the keys live for the Avantasia tour. Sometimes they use real orchestra and sometimes just samples. But they sound huge both ways.

Tristania-world of glass (really impressive orchestration and arrangement)
Adagio-sanctus ignis (neo classic heavy but song are build mostly like classical piece. Lot of layers...)

Thanks guys. There's some new stuff here for me to check out. Can't wait.

Mostly I'm looking for an 'expensive' production sound like the Nightwish record. Real orchestra, arrangements written around the orchestration, not just metal riffing with synths thrown on top. I want to hear the extent of balancing that's been achieved in busy arrangements like that. I'm doing a lot of work in the genre this year, and I need to load up on all possible perspective. It's an extremely hard job from a mix perspective, hence why most of the records in this genre feel like they have something missing... like everything is too thin just to make way for all the layers to even be heard.

You really must check out 'The Silent Force' by Within Temptation!

You guys have to check out Waltari´s Yeah! Yeah! Die! Die! Death Metal Symphony in Deep C. Totally forgot about it, so thanks for the thread. The production is stellar for a 1996 recording. And it´s all real... I love it.

Not the best sounding stuff but pretty unique. Death metal mixed with medival music.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ9c-sDBasI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ9c-sDBasI&feature=related[/ame]