A Sense of Purpose 2nd video

I watched the video. It wasn't as good as I expected, not because it had gay lights and Ander's shook his butt the whole time, but because it just seem shot weird and the slow motion effects were pretty bad.

Honestly though, for all those people who loved the really old In Flames and hate the new, some facts are that for In Flames first album, it was sung by Dark Tranquillity's singer, a band that Anders was in for one album also untill he ditched and stole their sound that he didn't really help create much because the people who wrote DT's music (and the current singer) were in the band before him. After that, In Flame's next album were written by Jesper I think, but the lyircs were written by Dark Tranquillity's current guitarist. And the 3rd, the lyrics were written by Anders but translated by DT's guitarist. My whole point is if you listen go to early DT, In Flames merely copied alot of their sound until Anders and Jesper found a common place to write their music together, which was Clayman, which was done all by the band itself, and since then In Flames as pretty much sounded just like In Flames and not Dark Tranquillity. The song Only For The Weak sounds not much different than anything now. In Flames don't sound like any other band, and even till now, they have amazingly well written parts in their music, the biggest example on this new album would have to be Disconnected in my opinion, everything its great in that song, and sounds like In Flames.

Seriously, even I admit that Anders is the singer that's most fun to make fun of and pick on, just because In Flames is that "gimmicky poppy Korn of death metal" but seriously, they have some great tunes. Dark Tranquillity is way better at making complicated music that takes serious thinking to understand and are still the kings of it. In Flames are that band that is catchy and fun, and quite emo, and good at being emotional, you can really feel it in their music. That's just how it is, and its why I like In Flames for what they are. I don't expect them to be DT or Opeth or anyone. I expect them to do what they do best, and it seems they know exactly what it is they want to do.
And so what if they're popular? Them being popular probably makes alot of other metal bands be introduced to people who usually wouldn't like the genre. Plus, usually popularity garuntee's longlivity. I would rather see In Flames remain a band until they die and make some catchy tunes, instead of making music that's heavy but dull because they have no ideas anymore to make that heavy of music and then give up because even more people don't like them after they try something heavy and people go "hey thats boring". Bands usually change beause they need fresh ideas, and i honestly bet the next album will be something TOTALLY different because the current sound has been around for awhile.

I watched the video. It wasn't as good as I expected, not because it had gay lights and Ander's shook his butt the whole time, but because it just seem shot weird and the slow motion effects were pretty bad.

Honestly though, for all those people who loved the really old In Flames and hate the new, some facts are that for In Flames first album, it was sung by Dark Tranquillity's singer, a band that Anders was in for one album also untill he ditched and stole their sound that he didn't really help create much because the people who wrote DT's music (and the current singer) were in the band before him. After that, In Flame's next album were written by Jesper I think, but the lyircs were written by Dark Tranquillity's current guitarist. And the 3rd, the lyrics were written by Anders but translated by DT's guitarist. My whole point is if you listen go to early DT, In Flames merely copied alot of their sound until Anders and Jesper found a common place to write their music together, which was Clayman, which was done all by the band itself, and since then In Flames as pretty much sounded just like In Flames and not Dark Tranquillity. The song Only For The Weak sounds not much different than anything now. In Flames don't sound like any other band, and even till now, they have amazingly well written parts in their music, the biggest example on this new album would have to be Disconnected in my opinion, everything its great in that song, and sounds like In Flames.

and for Disconnected I hope you don't mean lyrically.

Seriously, even I admit that Anders is the singer that's most fun to make fun of and pick on, just because In Flames is that "gimmicky poppy Korn of death metal" but seriously, they have some great tunes. Dark Tranquillity is way better at making complicated music that takes serious thinking to understand and are still the kings of it. In Flames are that band that is catchy and fun, and quite emo, and good at being emotional, you can really feel it in their music. That's just how it is, and its why I like In Flames for what they are. I don't expect them to be DT or Opeth or anyone. I expect them to do what they do best, and it seems they know exactly what it is they want to do.
And so what if they're popular? Them being popular probably makes alot of other metal bands be introduced to people who usually wouldn't like the genre. Plus, usually popularity garuntee's longlivity. I would rather see In Flames remain a band until they die and make some catchy tunes, instead of making music that's heavy but dull because they have no ideas anymore to make that heavy of music and then give up because even more people don't like them after they try something heavy and people go "hey thats boring". Bands usually change beause they need fresh ideas, and i honestly bet the next album will be something TOTALLY different because the current sound has been around for awhile.

You have quite a bit of facts wrong in that paragraph. There was this band that both Anders and Jesper were in called Ceremonial Oath. This band was active at the same time DT started to go Melo death. Oath was also melodeath, so that would mean that practically they didn't really steal anyone, or anything. Whoracle and the Jester Race have had some pretty complicated lyrics as well. Its no where near Stanne's philosophical approach in some songs compared to In Flames newer stuff, but some stuff on Whoracle can make your head spin.

As for the albums like the Jester Race and perhaps even Whoracle, Anders helped developed the lyrical concepts of those albums and Niklas Sundin (guitarist for DT), helped him translate them into English and helped with the concepts. And therefore also, In Flames wasn't copying anyone's sound back then. The band Ceremonial Oath proves this. Jesper and his band mates made all the music from Jester Race and on. Sure they had some lyrical help but it all wasn't Sundin.

Ok, first off, pretty much everyone is aware of the history between DT and IF. Just fyi, we're not retards here.
And frankly you're dramatically overstating DT's influence on IF, they never really sounded the same:

Skydancer = fast tremelo picked melodies + dm
Lunar Strain = generally single picked folk-influenced melodies + deathrash
Of Chaos And Eternal Night = fast tremelo picked melodies + dm
Subterranean = more single picked folky and classical melodies + dm
The Gallery = epic fucking win, a real clusterfuck that sounds absolutely nothing like The Jester Race and the bands go on to diverge even more.

So frankly, no, they never sounded much like each other. They both took tRitSiO and went in different directions with it.

IF's music isn't as deep as Dark Tranquility's but IF wins on lyrics. The first couple DT albums are pretentious grandiose poetry which is very cool but requires that you don't dig into it because in the end it's strings of cool sounding words that express extremely simple ideas. Later, they just got silly.

Yeah I've heard Ceremonial Oath, and none of DT's members were ever in that band cept Anders, I know. I'de have to say Ceremonial Oath and DT are both equally the true blue founders of the sound. (If you want to get reallly technical thought, (not trying to be a smart ass, just saying something I wanna say tho doubting they copied anything from each other) DT started technically in 1989 pr maybe earlier under the name Septic Broiler or whatever.

I guess I mean like, I honestly don't think Anders had any contribution to the "true blue complicated swedish death metal" that is now dead. I think the guitar players of ceremonial oath, especially Jesper...and Mikeal Stanne (since he was a guitarist of DT previously), and his band mates were probably the true blue starters. I honestly see Anders as more of a "hired" vocalist just cuz he can scream... I think when In Flames started to change, as when Anders started his nu-metal band, I think HIS true influence started to show and combine with the other guys to create something different. And I like what he brings.

But with In Flames/DT's/Ceremonial Oaths early albums....who cares about tremolo picking and all that crap? Brittney Spears sounds like alot of other pop artists but I'm sure they all have their unique traits. But The Gallery and Skydancer sound in the same cliche as In Flames' early stuff, idc. If I had to pick any band that sounded anything like DT, it would be In Flames.

Who knows. Maybe DT copied In Flames/Ceremonial Oath. Idk. I guess i was just trying to say more that Jesper / Dt's contributions carried the band back then. All I know is lol @ DT's lyrics??? DT went "experimental" for Projector, but has anyone listened to Character??? (Btw, lmfaoooo at DT's "bunch of big really nice words that end up not really meaning anything all that complex" tho....read my mind!!!!....I'll admit that is so true about DT....but hey, Mikeal Stanne is a really good lyricist.....he's like a scientist singing a love song :p)

But yeah, I agree, In Flames early lyrics were really complicated farther than big words, and Anders did create some good ideas.

But with In Flames/DT's/Ceremonial Oaths early albums....who cares about tremolo picking and all that crap?
You said that IF's music was a ripoff of DT's. I'm pointing out a fundamental stylistic difference that any guitarist would acknowledge is an important point. Not only were they using different playing techniques but their melodies were based on different sources (folk vs. classical). Basically, you're wrong.

Yeah I've heard Ceremonial Oath, and none of DT's members were ever in that band cept Anders, I know. I'de have to say Ceremonial Oath and DT are both equally the true blue founders of the sound. (If you want to get reallly technical thought, (not trying to be a smart ass, just saying something I wanna say tho doubting they copied anything from each other) DT started technically in 1989 pr maybe earlier under the name Septic Broiler or whatever.

I guess I mean like, I honestly don't think Anders had any contribution to the "true blue complicated swedish death metal" that is now dead. I think the guitar players of ceremonial oath, especially Jesper...and Mikeal Stanne (since he was a guitarist of DT previously), and his band mates were probably the true blue starters. I honestly see Anders as more of a "hired" vocalist just cuz he can scream... I think when In Flames started to change, as when Anders started his nu-metal band, I think HIS true influence started to show and combine with the other guys to create something different. And I like what he brings.

But with In Flames/DT's/Ceremonial Oaths early albums....who cares about tremolo picking and all that crap? Brittney Spears sounds like alot of other pop artists but I'm sure they all have their unique traits. But The Gallery and Skydancer sound in the same cliche as In Flames' early stuff, idc. If I had to pick any band that sounded anything like DT, it would be In Flames.

Who knows. Maybe DT copied In Flames/Ceremonial Oath. Idk. I guess i was just trying to say more that Jesper / Dt's contributions carried the band back then. All I know is lol @ DT's lyrics??? DT went "experimental" for Projector, but has anyone listened to Character??? (Btw, lmfaoooo at DT's "bunch of big really nice words that end up not really meaning anything all that complex" tho....read my mind!!!!....I'll admit that is so true about DT....but hey, Mikeal Stanne is a really good lyricist.....he's like a scientist singing a love song :p)

But yeah, I agree, In Flames early lyrics were really complicated farther than big words, and Anders did create some good ideas.

Dark Tranquillity was formed in 1989, under the name Septic Broiler as a thrash metal band.

Not Melo Death...