A stupid question...

T

TrappedInACorner

Hi all! I'd be happy to know with what pickups is equipped Steve's ESP custom.
Thanks

I'm really not an expert in electronic stuff, i have a f bass (205, like steve's model, which is equipped with emg hz) and i want to know if changing pickup (i saw these dc40 and they have a great feedback around) is or not of some utility.

40dc pickups are well worth getting if you can afford them, even if they are a little costly. The emg site recommends an 18v supply (two 9v batteries) which could mean you have to either find space in the existing control cavitie or cut a new one. If you don't like the idea of putting new holes in your bass then just use the one battery. The output won't be as high but it won't be too noticable.

You know what's weird...I have a few different EMG model pickups in my ESPs. And I prefer the EMG-HZ ones. I never researched the info about the pickups so I was basing my opinion strickly on what I liked to hear and not the cost or level of the pickup model. I was told that the EMG-HZs are passive, so that might explain it having been a Rickenbacker, with stock pickups, player for so many years. I'm not totally positive the HZ pickups are passive, but if they are I think I like them for their honesty...you know what I mean...you can hear the string, the neck, fingers hitting the string. Active pickups add too much eq saturation for my taste, I mean I know they have more power, but I think that power they kick out of there sounds more like electronics than it does like the sound of the instrument.
Just my view on that. And like I said I have some different EMGs in all my ESPs, I don't know what exactly because the HZ ones are the only ones that say so on the top. But they are definitely the ones I prefer. I am eventually going to change over all the basses to the HZs.
SDG

I know about saturation problem, too much noise etc... however the saw (in this situation, the heard) is the law. Thank you Steve, I forgot to say that you are my favourite bass player around. Keep on kicking ass!