a twist on GREENO'S "century" post

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
The mighty Green One got me thinking. This is sort of related to his post but on the opposite end of the spectrum - What band did you just DISCOVER in the last five years that has actually been kicking ass for years and years and years....but somehow you never gave 'em a chance or missed out along the way? But now you've discovered 'em...you know and love 'em and you've either hunted down or are in the process of hunting down every release by them to add to your library?!?!? Here's mine:

KING DIAMOND/MERCYFUL FATE

In all honesty I like the KD stuff more consistantly than the MF stuff...though both are classic. I can't believe I went all those years hearing of KD and writing him off as a Gene Simmons wannabe. I finally gave him a listen when PUPPETMASTER came out and it quickly became one of my alltime favorite metal albums. Now, with the help of the Swine, I have amassed a great collection of KD/MF material and continue to hunger for more.

Let's hear your stories! What OLD SCHOOL band is new to you?!?!

Metal Church!!! Usually I don't care too much for Power Metal so I never gave 'em a chance. Then, about 4 or 5 years ago the German Rock Hard mag did a Top 300 albums of all time special with the MC debut listed. So I decided to get that one. It was good stuff but still I didn't care to get the rest of their disco. But then one day this spring I found the re-release of Human Factor in the store and I couldn't resist. That one totally blew me away! So now I'm in the process of getting all their CDs. Which is pretty expensive because the first 4 are available only as an import. Bu what the heck - I only need to get The Dark of those. The rest is already in my collection.

Man, I'm always finding old bands that I missed back in the day. These days I hardly buy anything new, too much old stuff to seek out!

A couple new old bands for me are Mandator and Artillery.

Greeno said:
Man, I'm always finding old bands that I missed back in the day. These days I hardly buy anything new, too much old stuff to seek out!

A couple new old bands for me are Mandator and Artillery.
I was thinkin about checkin out Artillery ... what do they sound like?

Hey Greeno and I were Talkin about getting A chatroom on soulseek going for all of us here in OS so we can well Chat and trade tunes and such things like that How does that sound? We like it! Tell me what you think and if you dont have SS one of us can direct you to where you can get it :)

tedvanfrehley said:
The mighty Green One got me thinking. This is sort of related to his post but on the opposite end of the spectrum - What band did you just DISCOVER in the last five years that has actually been kicking ass for years and years and years....but somehow you never gave 'em a chance or missed out along the way?

Great twist on the topic... ;)

Anyway, ADX, Helstar, Omen, Scanner, Heavy Load, Sortilege and especially Riot stand out in the pile of old bands...
Of a bit newer ones, The Lord Weird Slough Feg are a real discovery!

tedvanfrehley said:
The mighty Green One got me thinking. This is sort of related to his post but on the opposite end of the spectrum - What band did you just DISCOVER in the last five years that has actually been kicking ass for years and years and years....but somehow you never gave 'em a chance or missed out along the way?
You really want ME to answer that? Alright, bands I just discover in the last three years dead or alive (in no particular order):

Skyclad
Pariah
Satan
Venom
Warhead
Black Knight
Hawk
Warfare
Culprit
Gargoyle
Abstrakt Algebra
Candlemass
Anacrusis
Axe
Blaspheme
Tobruk
Killers (FR)
Conception
Demon
Goddess Of Desire
Sortilege
High Power
Imperium
Jaguar
Manilla Road
Meliah Rage
Memento Mori
Mundanus Imperium
Praying Mantis
Radakka
Onward
Sentenced
The Organization
Trouble
Viper
Witchfynde
Witchfinder General

And bands I knew or heard but didn't got any albums up until last three years:

Amorphis
Death Angel
Armored Saint
Exciter :oops:
H-Bomb

Saxon, I didn't become a fan of theirs until I saw them live in 2000. I had heard some songs and thought it would be cool to check em out since there weren't really any concerts in my city. I even went to the in-store the day before the show and me and my brother got our pic taken with em :D The show was just great and after that we started to pick up their albums.

sixxswine said:
yes it did, but I started off with the e.p.
then you sent Mandrake, which was killer & then I bought the Hellfire disc...
Thanks for the Vain Glory Opera too!!!!

Your Welcome!!!!!!!!!!! Thats a Great Album Isnt it! .... I knew you would get into them ... it was only a matter of time Bwahahhahahahahahaha :D

tedvanfrehley said:
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...I forgot about EDGUY!!! That's one that I bought solely on the recommendation of JohnnyballsasbigaschurchbellsstraightupmofoouttamuthaphukincomptonD!!!!!! What a band!

:D You crack me Up Bro! ahhahahahahahahaha I'm Glad the recomendation worked out for ya!