A very innocent question...

Nostalgiaplatz

So why not moving?
Dec 20, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I started a band (currently more like an experimental project). I'm wondering, if I were to want to have Andy Sneap and Steve Wilson to engineer, mix and master it, would they refuse? Is there some sort of policy? like working with known bands and alike?

Also, what would it cost to us (average) (preferably euros or dollars)? Imagine, 1 week in studio, 8 tracks, basic line-up (2guitars, 1bass, vocals, 1 drum)

Sorry, this might be a handful of innocent questions.. but, help me out, I'm very clueless when it comes to these sort of things and I'd love to have these 2 masters to record the first album of this project (as would the other members) :)

I don't think anyone will out right refuse you b/c you aren't famous but you booking for big engineers is generally tight. So, being known isn't a necessity but I'm sure it's a factor for guys who get to pick and choose what bands they work with. Also, some of the bigger guys don't want to work on a record for just a week b/c they don't get the time they need (want) to make things right.
The 2 guys you listed specifically are pretty big and it's hard to imagine being able to afford them w/o some level of label backing but then again I can't quote their rates. You just need to email/call the guys you want to work with and find out availability and rates. I guess posting this thread was your way of asking Andy....

Thanks for both answers.

Actually, when I posted these questions, I wanted to know Andy's followers opinions and eventually have Andy' reply with something more formal and direct.

When I said 1 week, I did so cuz... it takes much more money to book a studio for more than a week (I love when I endup stating the obvious), but I obviously wouldn't be the one to say "this will take just one week", that would obviously be of Andy's or Steve's concern.

And indeed, this is a longshot and my post is mainly curiosity at this point, but you know, knowing these details... can make us work more closer to get something we surely would want rather than something that would just work but not more than that, know what I mean?

Any other details will be helpful :)

I could never judge my stuff in those terms, but what me and a friend have done so far, made us very happy, it's prog death metal in the veins of Opeth with chaotic time signatures and melodies with some touch of originality (I guess, that's hard to say these days tho)

Anyways, will follow your advice and mail him, thanks once again! :)

P.S: Egan, do you have anything produced by you online? I've been rather curious since I read a couple of your posts, you seem to know your stuff quite well :)

Well I guess you could download the samples at daylightdies.com. You might like us. I mostly record my own bands and friends as that stuff arises. I do more live sound than anything else-- it's much easier to make money (here) doing that.