Guitar (songwriting) Learning Question

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
Sorry for this queston ahead of time but seems I stll have a lot to learn.

I've been listening to Leppard lately (I know most here think :yuk:) but I really have been caught up in their very basic song structure and how it pulls me in.

The question is it seems they take power chords and breaking up the chords with 3 different guitars playing at the same time. now I dont much about music theory and this might be a noob question but can someone explain/post a link or some sort of reading material/video that explains what the heck is going on. I seem to beonly able to come up with power chords and a lead. I would love to incorporate new ideas in my music.

I've been listening to Leppard lately (I know most here think :yuk:) but I really have been caught up in their very basic song structure and how it pulls me in.

The question is it seems they take power chords and breaking up the chords with 3 different guitars playing at the same time. now I dont much about music theory and this might be a noob question but can someone explain/post a link or some sort of reading material/video that explains what the heck is going on. I seem to beonly able to come up with power chords and a lead. I would love to incorporate new ideas in my music.

Hey Steve. I'm not much help here...actually...none at all. :) But I know exactly what you're talking about. The music sounds simple on first listen. But when you really start listening, you hear just how thick and layered those guitars are. (At least, during the Mutt Lange days...the only period I like)

I think i know what you mean, I've got a tab for a song idea where i've tried to get thi skinda sound, i'll post it later today when i'm back on my own computer :D

Theory is really simple actually. This is going to be a very long post, so give me an hour or so to get it all together for you :)

IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND THE Root - 3rd 5th thing just keep reading. It will become clear :)

Applying music theory to song writing.

This is a very indepth subject but I am going to break it down to its core elements as it comes to song writing and the guitar in general. Music Theory is probably the monst important thing you can learn as a musician. The ability to use expanded chords and voiceings in your songwriting can add depth and dimension to even the simplest of riffs.

Part 1: The Theory Of Music:

All western music is based off of the 12 Note Chromatic Scale:
C-C#/Db-D-D#/Eb-E-F-F#/Gb-G-G#/Ab-A-A#/Bb-B

The foundation for most western music is based off of the C Major Scale. The C Major scale is the only Major Scale which contains no flats or sharps. Everyone knows the C Major scale, if you sing Do, Re, Mi .... Thats the C Major scale.

The notes of the C Major Scale are C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C

We are going to use the C major Scale as the base of this lesson.

Part 2: Building Chords:

To put it in its most simple form Major chords are made up of the Root 3rd and 5th of any major scale. So if we use the C Major Scale as the base of this we end up with the notes C - E - G. If we play the 3 of these notes together as a chord you get a C Major Triad.
Minor Chords are built using Root flat3rd and 5th of the Major Scale. So if we use C Major as a reference we get C - Eb - G. If we play the 3 of these notes together as a chord you get a C minor Triad

Chord building and knowing how chords work is invaluable for a guitarist / songwriter. It allows you to build and create chord progressions, arpeggios, and give you the tools to create different moods and tensions when soloing over a chord progression by using Modes (more on modes later)

To put this into practice and songwriting in a metal context, one thing you can do is have the Guitar player just playing standard power chords (root and 5th) and you can have a clean guitar playing the Triads or the "tension" below it. The tension is what gives a chord its "color" wether its Major minor or diminished, tension notes are your 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 11th and 13th.

So guitar one would play C5 (C and G) and the clean guitar would play a C Major Triad over it. This would give you a very happy sounding riff. Alternately you can do the same with Minor chords. You can have one guitar play C5 and you can have the other guitar playing a C Minor Triad.
So to put it simple have the main guitar play a Power Chord and have another guitar play the tension on top of it to give the riff its color or mood.

Example:
Guitar one plays C5 (C and G) and guitar 2 plays Eb, and G, the Eb of guitar 2 gives the chord its minor characteristic. Guitar 2 could even play Eb and C and you would still get the minor tonality. Experiment with different chords and see what sounds best to you.

a.) Using octaves to your advantage:

An octave is 2 notes that are separated by 12 semi tones (half steps). For example, playe a C on your A string (3th Fret) then play an A on your G String (5th Fret) these notes are exactly 1 octave apart.

You can use these octaves to your advantage to make a riff more interesting. So lets take that same C5 chord we played earlier and have the 2nd guitar play a slowly arpegiated chord using C E G one octave higher. This can add some depth to a simple riff.

b.) Chord Harmony

Using chord harmony is another way to make a riff cool. Say we have 2 guitars, Guitar one plays a C Major Chord in the 3rd position (your basic C major chord). The 2nd guitar can play an A Minor chord over that and harmonize the part using music theory!
How is this possible?
Well this gets into the deepest part of music theory. Scales and Modes

Part 3: Scales and Modes

The easiest explination I can give you of modes is they are scales that are built from different parts of the Major (or minor sometimes) scale. This can get very confusing so I am going to build you a small chart so you can see how it works.

The modes follow a specific order: This order NEVER changes

Ionian (Major)
Dorian (Minor)
Phrygian (Minor)
Lydian (Major)
Mixolydian (Major)
Aeolian (Minor)
Locrian (Diminshed)

If we apply each note of the major scale to each of the modes based in C we get.

C Ionian (Major scale)
D Dorian (Minor)
E Phrygian (Minor)
F Lydian (Major)
G Mixolydian (Major)
A Aeolian (Minor Scale)
B Locrian (Diminished)

Each note also get asigned a "degree" in the scale. This is very useful for chord progressions. ir would look similar to this.

C - 1 (Root)
D - 2 (2nd)
E - 3 (3rd)
F - 4 (4th)
G - 5 (5th)
A - 6 (6th)
B - 7 (7th)

So lets put it all together:
Ionian (Major) - C - 1
Dorian (Minor) - D - 2
Phrygian (Minor) - E - 3
Lydian (Major) - F - 4
Mixolydian (Major) - G - 5
Aeolian (Minor) - A - 6
Locrian (Diminished) - B - 7

So based on this we can build chord progressions based within the key.

Lets use a ii-V-I (2 - 5 - 1) progression for this example.

So if we take the 2 chord (D minor) the 5 Chord (G major) and the 1 Chord (the C Major) and play them in succession we get a ii - V - I chord progression. If we expand on this into soloing over this progression, you can play D Dorian over the D minor chord, G Mixolydian, over the G Major Chord, and C Ionian, over the C major chord

There are a million other options but for now to keep this "SIMPLE" we will just name those.

But how do you know what a D Dorian or a F Lydian Scale is?

That my friends is the most SIMPLE part of Music Theory. If you know the notes of the Major Scale you know ALL of your modes. The easiest explination is a Mode is a Scale staring on a Degree in a Major scale and continuing that scale through its octave. CONFUSING I KNOW, but onece you SEE it you will understand. Look at the example below:

C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C ( C - Ionian Mode )
D - E - F - G - A - B - C - D (D - Dorian Mode )
E - F - G - A - B - C - D - E (E - Phrygian Mode )
F - G - A - B - C - D - E - F ( F - Lydian Mode )
G - A - B - C - D - E - F - G ( G - Mixolydian Mode)
A - B - C - D - E - F - G - A (A - Aeolian Mode)
B - C - D - E - F - G - A - B ( B - Locrian Mode)

See the Pattern? Make Sense?

If you play all the notes of a C Major Scale starting from D and playing through D you get the D - Dorian Mode, If you play all the notes of a C Major Scale from A to A (octave) you get the A - Aeolian Mode.

See how easy that is :)

Part 4: Expansion into other keys

You can use the above examples starting from any Major scale. Lets use F major for our next example. The note of the F Major Scale are F - G - A - Bb - C - D - E

So that gives us:
Ionian (Major) - F - 1
Dorian (Minor) - G - 2
Phrygian (Minor) - A - 3
Lydian (Major) - Bb - 4
Mixolydian (Major) - C - 5
Aeolian (Minor) - D - 6
Locrian (Diminished) - E- 7

So if we have a progression that is A minor, D minor and F Major what modes should we play over each chord?

(scroll down for answer)

If you said A Phrygian over the A, D Aeolian over the D and F Ionian over the F major then you got it right! THATS MUSIC THEORY!!!

Ok guys I have to get back to work but thats the basics of how music theory works :)

I will explans on 9th's 11th's and 13ths later .... I just have to get back to work :)

Quickly, if you keep counting into the next octave the 2nd becomes the 9th and so on ....

Sounds like the kinda thing he would say

Well, most 'theory freaks' make music seem like maths. It becomes more of a left-brained thing to them rather than being right-brained. What he means to say is - Music is a can of beans, theory is can-opener. Not the other way round ;)

This is all well and good, but I hardly think the guys in Def Leppard (especially in the good days with Steve Clark) delved too deeply into music theory. :) I'm pretty sure you can thank Mutt Lange for helping create that sound of theirs.

Here is how to play true heavey metal:

1. Tune guitar to drop Z at all times.
2. This is very important so pay attention. Never ever play a note higher than the third fret (maybe the forth fret for expirmental stuff).
3. Only use the strings 4 through 6.
4. Be brootal.

And when playing solos:

1. Randomly hit wammy bar.
2. Stare stone cold into a fan blowing back your hair.
3. Drench your guitar in chorus and total sweetness (delay).
4. Be epic.

Or you could be a loser and follow Guru's music theory advice and become a real musician. Either way your playing will equally impress women.

Here is how to play true heavey metal:

1. Tune guitar to drop Z at all times.
2. This is very important so pay attention. Never ever play a note higher than the third fret (maybe the forth fret for expirmental stuff).
3. Only use the strings 4 through 6.
4. Be brootal.

And when playing solos:

1. Randomly hit wammy bar.
2. Stare stone cold into a fan blowing back your hair.
3. Drench your guitar in chorus and total sweetness (delay).
4. Be epic.

Or you could be a loser and follow Guru's music theory advice and become a real musician. Either way your playing will equally impress women.

you forgot:
Palm Mute EVERYTHING!
Only Down Pick!
Stomp Around The Stage Like Scott Ian!

I prefer club picking to down picking. It is were you hit the strings with a large tree branch, usually in some type of polyrhythm.

I also fore got to mention the benefits of growing a mullet like James Hetfield 1992. It is the musical equivalent to becoming voltron.

I can see the Voltron Reference and raise you

hairmetal.jpg

So if we have a progression that is A minor, D minor and F Major what modes should we play over each chord?

I would play that progression in the key of C. ;) But F major works too.
I generally don't like looking at modes like that. Thinking actively which mode to use over each chord is just overcomplicating things when it really is in the same key.
But modes are a good way of learning the 7 patterns of the major scale, I find putting names on each pattern helps with remembering them.