A weird recommendation..... Jet...

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I often allow my co-workers to listen to the radio as opposed to metal CDs all of the time, and this super-cool oldschool sounding rock and roll song came on. I could tell it was it was Jet as I am familiar with their radio songs from the first release they had a couple of years ago. The name of the song is "Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is" and you can watch the video from their website.. www.jettheband.com
This band isn't for everyone... in fact, probably for few here, but although there are many alterna-rock bands out there that wield old Rick guitars trying to sound "oldschool rock and roll" these guys live and breathe late Beatles, The Stones, early AC/DC etc. It is easy to tell these kids have their heart in what they are doing. They are pretty refreshing and different despite doing nothing new.

Bryant

I've heard of em', but not familiar with their tunes. There seems to be alot of these new bands coming out sounding old school. Some others are Wolfmother, Buckcherry, Halifax, but that's all I can remember right now. Of course Buckcherry has been around for awhile, but they remind me of sleeze bands like L.A. Guns or G&R.

Halifax has a song out that reminds me of Motley Crue's Kickstart My Heart.

The problem I have with Jet is that they blatantly rip off other bands. Listen to their song "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" and then listen to Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life."

Every few years, a mainstream retro band breaks.
Don't worry. In 2 years you won't even remember the bands name.

Like most bands of this genre, they have a debut album that everyone gisms over, and then their follow up sucks!

You don't hear anyone talking about bands like the Datsuns, D4, or the Darkness anymore, do you?

Jasonic said:
Every few years, a mainstream retro band breaks.
Don't worry. In 2 years you won't even remember the bands name.

Like most bands of this genre, they have a debut album that everyone gisms over, and then their follow up sucks!

You don't hear anyone talking about bands like the Datsuns, D4, or the Darkness anymore, do you?

No, you really don't. The Darkness has pretty much fallen off the map!

lady_space said:
Funny, I saw them Halloween a couple of years ago and was so NOT impressed. Very samey-sounding, I thought. The Donnas showed them up, IMO.

Shaye
OUCH!!:zombie:

For the retro-flavor of the month bands out there, I think Scissor Sisters have the best gimmick going. The music is infectiously fun too. Their more a Billy Joel meets KC and the SUnshine Band I'd say.

Creeps said:
thats gotta suck, the 2 brothers started that band, is there any proof of that like an announcement/article?

Seems he left. I had read differently originally.

But.. from wikipedia:

However on the 10th October 2006, The Sun newspaper reported that Justin Hawkins was leaving the band after completing his course of rehabilitation from alcohol and cocaine problems, and the band would continue on without him, with Richie Edwards expected to take over as the frontman. It is however unknown as to whether the band can continue without their influential frontman whose voice partially defines who The Darkness are.

In response to the story being reported by the media, the following message was posted on The Darkness' official forum:

"We're sorry that you had to find this out through the newspapers, but we were hoping until the last minute that this - Justin's exit - wasn't going to happen. We - Dan, Ed and Richie - are still in total shock and can't say at this stage what the future holds. We would like to thank all our fans, partners and family for their continuous support. You will hear from us, once we know what we want to do..."

I saw Jet open up for Oasis a couple years ago...for free...haha!
Actually Jet rocked it pretty good, I enjoyed their set. Kasabian opened the whole thing off.

Cheiron said:
Seems he left. I had read differently originally.

But.. from wikipedia:

However on the 10th October 2006, The Sun newspaper reported that Justin Hawkins was leaving the band after completing his course of rehabilitation from alcohol and cocaine problems, and the band would continue on without him, with Richie Edwards expected to take over as the frontman. It is however unknown as to whether the band can continue without their influential frontman whose voice partially defines who The Darkness are.

In response to the story being reported by the media, the following message was posted on The Darkness' official forum:

"We're sorry that you had to find this out through the newspapers, but we were hoping until the last minute that this - Justin's exit - wasn't going to happen. We - Dan, Ed and Richie - are still in total shock and can't say at this stage what the future holds. We would like to thank all our fans, partners and family for their continuous support. You will hear from us, once we know what we want to do..."

I had'nt heard this yet. I like The Darkness.