Leatherwolf...... check them out....

Leatherwolf also flew under my radar back in the day. I know I've heard "of" them. I am pretty sure I also heard them. I believe some of my friends played them for me. But somehow, they never registered. Listening to those song samples from the new album, I am impressed. Doesn't sound very old school though. They must have updated their sound. It's too up-tempo to be old school, more influenced by modern day power metal (not speed metal).

I am now curious as to what their 80s albums would sound like on my aging radar.

NP: Kick Axe - Vices

General Zod said:
I remember seeing the premiere of the "The Calling" video on The Headbanger's Ball, back in the day. Ran right out and bought the CD... uhhh, I mean cassette.

Zod

Ditto, AND, I still have it! Haha. I actually have all my (1000 or so!) cassettes from the old days.

MetalAges said:
Ditto, AND, I still have it! Haha. I actually have all my (1000 or so!) cassettes from the old days.

Wow! I only have *maybe* a hundred... but I can't imagine throwing mine out either. Most of 'em I've never gotten on CD, and a lot of them probably aren't even available on CD.

Shaye

I've still got a lot of cassettes...mostly stuff that's irreplaceable, or rare, or stuff I recorded off TV/radio. Some local band demos, etc. I can't part with them either, although I was tempted when it came time to move. :)

lady_space said:
cassette? What's that?

Bryant, how'd you miss these guys? Even I have something by them. :)

I have no idea how they flew under my radar nor have I heard their old stuff (though if they came on MTV in the 80's I might know a song or two without realizing it.)

Bryant

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Leatherwolf also flew under my radar back in the day. I know I've heard "of" them. I am pretty sure I also heard them. I believe some of my friends played them for me. But somehow, they never registered. Listening to those song samples from the new album, I am impressed. Doesn't sound very old school though. They must have updated their sound. It's too up-tempo to be old school, more influenced by modern day power metal (not speed metal).
]

Yeah I downloaded all the free MP3s from their site of the old stuff and some of it is pretty darn good. Some is a bit 80's cheese, but the "new" Leatherwolf sounds like a different monster altogether as you stated.. I think the new style fits right in with PP. I am definitely going to check back to their site and see when the new release will be.

Bryant

The Calling - that was the one that brought me in way back when. Big choruses as I recall. I think I still have the vinyl LP. I'll have to dig it out and transfer to CD/mp3.

Perhaps we need to have a pre-PreParty with all NWOBHM type bands - Saxon headlining?

KingsGene said:
The Calling - that was the one that brought me in way back when. Big choruses as I recall. I think I still have the vinyl LP. I'll have to dig it out and transfer to CD/mp3.

Perhaps we need to have a pre-PreParty with all NWOBHM type bands - Saxon headlining?
Saxon should get a main stage headline slot...imho.

Ascension said:
I totally agree. Saxon was part of the original wave of metal that came from England & forged paths for others. "Dallas 1pm" is a classic.
I hope the tour(5 - 6 shows) happens this year, and doesn't get cancelled like last year. I will travel to see them if they make it here this year.