Leatherwolf...... check them out....

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I like a good bit of oldschool metal, but until about 20 minutes ago I couldn't name one song by Leatherwolf. I knew the name, but never heard them. I decided to go to their site and check them out since I do respect a good bit of oldschool metal. They had samples of their forthcoming release and I was quite impressed. There is a serious "oldschool" vibe going on with them, but at the same time, I don't think you need to be a fan of oldschool metal to enjoy them. Just from the samples I heard, when the new CD is released, it will be ordered on that day unless I can pre-order it. Don't let this band slip through your fingers. They seem like they are going to be a killer band.

Bryant

I haven't heard the clips from the forthcoming cd, but their 3 studio releases, as well as the live album, are KILLER!! Can't wait to see them at the pre-party. :headbang:

Steph

AngraRULES said:
I'm not a fan of old school metal but I will certainly give them a chance!

Yeah I don't want to get too verbose and over-emphasize this post, but give them a good listening especially the last sample track. I was posting to another forum on UM and let that play three or four times while I was typing and it hit me pretty good. I wish there were more vocals on the last track, but there is enough to impress me. The guitars are also pretty cool (which most of the track is.)

Bryant

General Zod said:
I remember seeing the premiere of the "The Calling" video on The Headbanger's Ball, back in the day. Ran right out and bought the CD... uhhh, I mean cassette.

Zod

Wow Zod !! I thought I was supposed to be the oldschool expert. Tell me more. Those samples I heard are probably different from the stuff you know, but this stuff sounds really good and samples normally don't do justice to a band.

Bryant

I've been a Leatherwolf fan since 90'!

I remember hearing the song "Hideaway" on the radio, and went out and picked up the album immediately. That song was melodic, heavy and has hooks galore. I actually thought they were going to be more hard rock than metal, but to my surprise it was more of a hybrid (concerning the Street Ready album)check out the instrumental track called "Black Knight", it'll rip your head off!!! Shredding to the max!

I picked up the Island Records self-titled album a few weeks later, and THAT screams of brilliant old-school metal with amazing melodic guitars and crunch. That is still one of my all-time favorite metal albums.

When listening back to these albums today, I can honestly say that they were ahead of their time, and sadly got overlooked in the barrage of American hair-bands and the strong thrash-metal movement that came around the same time. At the time, they were one of the few U.S. metal bands incorporating Iron Maiden style melodic metal with AOR vocal hooks AND speed metal riffing. Again, way ahead of their time.

Highly recommend anyone reading this to track down their albums, especially the self -titled album with "The Calling" on it. A classic metal album that should be in everyone's collection.

I'm excited to finally see the whole band live for the first time, and kick it with our brotha' Geoff! We're totally pumped to see them on the pre-party line up and hearing the new material. The new Leatherwolf album will be out soon enough too which is a bonus, the clips sound excellent!
\m/
Dustin

You can catch them(As well as Crimson Glory) on VH1 classics
Metal Mania quite a lot \m/

I used to TiVo Metal Mania three times a week, and I never saw Leatherwolf on it once. (I did see Crimson Glory - "Lonely" a few times.) Personally, I think Metal Mania sucks... it relies too heavily on a handful of unknown hair metal bands who suck, but who Eddie Trunk seems to have a boner for.

Dustin said:

I remember hearing the song "Hideaway" on the radio, and went out and picked up the album immediately. That song was melodic, heavy and has hooks galore. I actually thought they were going to be more hard rock than metal, but to my surprise it was more of a hybrid (concerning the Street Ready album)check out the instrumental track called "Black Knight", it'll rip your head off!!! Shredding to the max!

I picked up the Island Records self-titled album a few weeks later, and THAT screams of brilliant old-school metal with amazing melodic guitars and crunch. That is still one of my all-time favorite metal albums.

When listening back to these albums today, I can honestly say that they were ahead of their time, and sadly got overlooked in the barrage of American hair-bands and the strong thrash-metal movement that came around the same time. At the time, they were one of the few U.S. metal bands incorporating Iron Maiden style melodic metal with AOR vocal hooks AND speed metal riffing. Again, way ahead of their time.

Highly recommend anyone reading this to track down their albums, especially the self -titled album with "The Calling" on it. A classic metal album that should be in everyone's collection.

I'm excited to finally see the whole band live for the first time, and kick it with our brotha' Geoff! We're totally pumped to see them on the pre-party line up and hearing the new material. The new Leatherwolf album will be out soon enough too which is a bonus, the clips sound excellent!
\m/
Dustin

Totally agree Dustin; I've been a fan of the band since '84 (I know, it
ages me :D ). Fortunate to see them in '89 on the STREET READY tour
at a small club in Houston, great show! I was hoping Carey Howe would
be with them but it looks like Eric Halpern will be filling his spot. Also,
anyone know if Pete Perez will be with them? I understand he had a
rather bad accident recently, resulting in the cancellation of some Riot
shows. Hope he's doing O.K. Looking very forward to seeing these
guys again...

Neal

Dustin said:

\m/
Dustin

I couldn't agree with you more Dustin. I first heard Rise Or Fall back in 87 when the (2nd) S/T cd came out and I was floored. Talk about HUGE hooks and still to this day some of the best layering of background vocals in a chorus i've ever heard on any cd, period. I was never a big fan of Street Ready but I guess I need to give it another really good listen. I just LOVED the S/T sooooo much that it was a hard act to follow. I also agree that for ANYONE that loves good old school 80's hard rock/ heavy metal, the S/T Leatherwolf is an ABSOLUTE must for anybody.

I'd put Rise Or Fall on my website for anyone to check out, I just don't know if it's cool to do or not. :headbang:

I have been a fan since the mid to late 80's of the band. As soon as I saw the video for "The Calling" I went & bought their cassette the next day. Later picked it up on cd along with another record and the live one. I look forward to their new one

l remember hearing their cover of "Bad Moon Rising" and going...WHOA! So I had to go pick up the S/T cassette & then Street Ready later. l've been wondering what the deal is with the original singer not doing the vocals. Heck...from what l understand the band was his baby from the get go. Website says he's helping with writing, etc., but I liked his voice. Wade should do a good job though. But, inquiring minds would like to know.

General Zod said:
I remember seeing the premiere of the "The Calling" video on The Headbanger's Ball, back in the day. Ran right out and bought the CD... uhhh, I mean cassette.

Zod

I think I actually have the vinyl of that... should look nice with some signatures on it.

I shall further date myself by remembering their tag-line for the new Street Ready album...

"the triple axe attack is back"... those of you who don't know, they had 3 people on guitars.

Creeps said:
I shall further date myself by remembering their tag-line for the new Street Ready album...

"the triple axe attack is back"... those of you who don't know, they had 3 people on guitars.

LMAO... I remember that... and how fucking cool that idea sounded back then. :D