A work-in-progress Wargods solo tab

Jacob Kjær

has been in you.
Apr 3, 2008
Denmark
Hey all,

Tomorrow I have chemistry lessons at my university (though I am a software engineering student), and I should be reading up for it right now. But, of course I have been busy tabbing instead, because of the wonderful structured procrastination caused by homework brings can make any student unwillingly productive with anything else than he's supposed to do.
I bet that I would be coding computer games right now if I were to tab as an exercise for a musical education!

I have allways started out with the hard parts, but this time I started out with the easiest, which ended up leading to a few of the hard parts completed. And of course, halving the tempo and (and thereby also pitch frequency) of a solo has allways done wonders. I know it's cheating, but Yngwie did it too with Paganini vinyls (probably by hand though, which makes it more acceptable, but anyway... :p).

Here's what's missing:
  • Fingerings + arpeggiation techniques.
  • Shawn-lane-ish laser arpeggios. Probably not ever going to be tabbed by me, and if it happens I don't know if I should release it.
  • Arpeggio note-for-note confirmation.
  • A few rhythmic insecurities in the slower parts, noted in the tab.
  • I just noticed while writing this post that I forgot to downtune the lead guitar in Guitar Pro, so the lead tab is in E while the rhythm is in C#. Ooops. I might actually keep it for now because I don't usually have my guitar tuned in C# anyway.
  • The arpeggios have uniform note-lenghts, but in reality Kristian does a lot of phrasing (I think it is called...) in between the beats.

WARNING: If you wanna improve your ear, Kristian suggests that you give this a go yourself.

Download, GP5: Click!
Download, PDF: Click!

Have fun, and good night from me for today!

Jacob.

EDIT: Just took a break and noticed some stupidities, like mixing a major and minor arpeggio (which I don't think is intended). Will fix tomorrow. I guess this tab is for your eyes only for now ;)

Wow, the Wargods solo eh?!? Thats quite an undertaking! Youve got balls man :kickass:

Some of those "laserspeed" arpeggios are a wee bit too fast to pick out by ear. A hint: most of ´em are played 3 notes/string on the A, G and high E strings, and usually with some tapping, plus stretches in the left hand. Examples: wholestep-minor3rd (and reversed), minor3rd-minor3rd, wholestep-major3rd or major3rd-halfstep. The first one (wholestep-minor3rd and reversed), is the ol´ trusty Gilbert shape he always uses for that smooth arpeggio sound.

Check this out:

This is where a lot of those types of licks comes from. I expand on them a little by adding tapping with 2 fingers on my right hand. It mixes things up and its hard to tell whats tapped and whats just left hand legato. Its all just a big brown cloud of notes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, the Wargods solo eh?!? Thats quite an undertaking! Youve got balls man :kickass:
Thank you! But if I'm gonna try and tab as many of the album's solos, then I might as well start from the first ;)

I figured it was a tapped lick, thanks for giving me a slightly more defined framework. I guess I'll end up praciticing 3-4 positions of A#m7 arps and go with that.
I also started playing the little-bit-more-sane arps, it seems looks promising. Maybe if I work hard enough I have a cover ready in the Christmas holidays.

We'll see, so far so good ;)

Jacob.