A7X - Hail To The King

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
I didn't see a thread on this album on the search so I'm starting one to allow all bashing and praise to take place in an orderly manner! Personally I am not a fan of the band. They are ok and don't offend me in any way. They used to be quite Helloweeny sounding but the new album seems to have abandoned that route for something more catchy and rockish rather than metal. Mind you I haven't even heard the album cause I'm not really interested and the new song and video doesn't really excite me much. It sounds ok and has a decent chorus but it seems too pedestrian. I think you should be cutting loose on the first single to show what you're made of but that song is very commercial sounding which is probably why they released it first. Any fans of this new album? Oh and one more thing I was watching Channel 5 here in the UK and I was pretty shocked to see an ad for this album in the middle of mainstream uk TV. Pretty unheard of for a metal band. I've never even seen one for Maiden. These guys could hit big with this album with promotion like that!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think their new disc is my fave. I never was a big fan of the band, but I like their new, more "traditional" melodic metal approach. There's no speedy song, all of it is mostly mid-paced, but that's no problem for me... I do think, however, that the Metallica-Black album influence is a bit too evident on a couple songs...

I've never been a fan of A7X, and quite honestly I've never understood the hype surrounding them. But I do have to say that I kind of like the songs I've heard off the new album. I am going to the Aftershock Festival the weekend after ProgPower which has A7X headlining, and I was planning on skipping A7X to get a jump on traffic, but now I'm thinking of sticking around and checking them out.

Funny article about all the songs they ripped off for the new album.
I love the single (despite it sounding like an unreleased track from Metallica's "Black Album") and was totally prepared to give this band a chance. But it's one of the most derivative albums I've ever heard. And the sad part of it is, it likely would have been even more derivative if they weren't such awful musicians and were actually capable of better approximating the music they're stealing.

Awful, really? They might not be Dream Theater-like virtuosos (the original drummer (R.I.P.) was probably in that class though, if I remember well), but for me they sound more than decent.
The drum lines seem simple, the guitar solos seem basic, and the whole album has a completely stripped down feel. The singer (mostly) sounds like he's doing his best Hetfield impersonation. If they've demonstrated more on previous releases, it's not evidenced here.

The drum lines seem simple, the guitar solos seem basic, and the whole album has a completely stripped down feel. The singer (mostly) sounds like he's doing his best Hetfield impersonation. If they've demonstrated more on previous releases, it's not evidenced here.

I'm far to be an expert on A7X, but this just means the music on this album is more simple and "basic", not that they're "awful musicians".
An album played by "awful musicians" would include out of tune vocals and mistakes in the execution for example. It's surely not the case here.

Lots of excellent musicians play "simple" music that doesn't show lots of chops, even if they have them.

I love the single (despite it sounding like an unreleased track from Metallica's "Black Album") and was totally prepared to give this band a chance. But it's one of the most derivative albums I've ever heard. And the sad part of it is, it likely would have been even more derivative if they weren't such awful musicians and were actually capable of better approximating the music they're stealing.

Say what you want about those guys (I'm no fan myself - they were a poor man's Eighteen Visions in their hardcore days and a generic soccer mom rock band with shred guitar in the latter days - nothing very original if you ask me), but they are better musicians than many of your favorite bands hands down just from all the touring they have to do. I'm all for recognizing that opinions are subjective, but this is something a bit more demonstrable. In fact, the fact that A7X is one of the few bands in metal actually recording with real drums in this day an age is proof positive of how tight they are as musicians.

ehhhhhh I don t like it, selloutica! I could care less about their success and they have left their better days musically behind them, a trade off for the big pay off and dumb downed music. just my opinion

Bear

Lots of excellent musicians play "simple" music that doesn't show lots of chops, even if they have them.
You are correct Sir. I should have chosen my words more carefully.

...they are better musicians than many of your favorite bands hands down just from all the touring they have to do.
I'm not sure the correlation between number of tour dates and musical talent is as direct as you're making it out to be. Playing live is about little more than repetition. Playing the same 12 songs night after night will make you tighter on those 12 songs and will up your overall game to some extent. But playing the same 12 songs live every night is not going to turn a bad or average musician into a virtuoso.

In fact, the fact that A7X is one of the few bands in metal actually recording with real drums in this day an age is proof positive of how tight they are as musicians.
It proves they have a larger studio budget than most; they can afford a skilled engineer and the studio time to get live drums right.

Perhaps there's something about the recording process I don't fully understand (that's quite possible). How do live drums prove anything about musicianship other than the drummer's ability to keep time? The rest of the band is playing to a drum track. How is something additional required of the other musicians, if they're listening to a track that was recorded by a live drummer as opposed to a track recorded by machine? Both are recorded, both are in the correct time.

Not to derail the thread, but whatever happened to Eighteen Visions? I saw them open for Strung Out twice in 2002-2003 and then...*poof*...never heard about them again. They had an awesome stage show.

They broke up. :c

Playing the same 12 songs night after night will make you tighter on those 12 songs and will up your overall game to some extent. But playing the same 12 songs live every night is not going to turn a bad or average musician into a virtuoso.

Oh man, this post is so misguided it's not even funny. For one thing, aside from bands like Dream Theater and Symphony X that have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they can play beyond normal expectations, you couldn't prove who actually is a "virtuoso" in metal. In fact, most of these bands with noodly players are fucking horrible live. Just because you can sweep pick doesn't make you a tight guitarist. Just because you're playing "simple" music doesn't make you a bad musician. Playing night after night, regardless of whether or not it's the same 12 songs, turns you into a playing machine. It's the simple fact of life. .

It proves they have a larger studio budget than most; they can afford a skilled engineer and the studio time to get live drums right.

No it's because they can actually play their instruments. Most bands cannot. The end.

How do live drums prove anything about musicianship other than the drummer's ability to keep time? The rest of the band is playing to a drum track. How is something additional required of the other musicians, if they're listening to a track that was recorded by a live drummer as opposed to a track recorded by machine? Both are recorded, both are in the correct time.

For one thing, I'm not talking about machines. So often - drummers will record their drums the old fashioned way, but because they aren't good for whatever reason (maybe because they don't tour enough, etc), the engineer will almost always chop up the kit in pro tools, edit it, re-sample all the hits and mix down the kit that way. And keeping that in mind, most engineers do the exact same thing with guitars, bass, vocals, etc with I would easily argue to be around 75% of bands. In FACT, a surprising chunk of bands these days metal or otherwise don't even play their own instruments on the record because they are so shitty, and they just have the engineer do it for them.

A7X is one of the few bands that actually uses real drums, real instruments, etc. You can tell just by listening to the record that there was very little (if not any at all) editing or pro-tooling going on. That's because those guys are tight as fuck. Budget doesn't really make a difference - yeah A7X has more money to fuck around and get things perfect - but I've seen bands get similar sounding productions with real instruments and no editing for under 10 grand. It's all about your own ability to play, not so much how the record costs. Five Finger Death Punch is an example of a band that could have gotten a ton of money to make music and they pas on it for cheap digital recordings, fake drums, autotuned vocals, etc. Obviously their label loves this because they make more money on the back end, and so does the band, inevitably - because their fans don't really care how horrible their records sound from a production standpoint. That being said those guys can still play extremely tight at the end of the day, because they have to.

Not terrible. I'd not ever heard a note from these guys before now and they are certainly tight. I don't know about lumping them in with modern metal as they are often classified. They seem like a throwback band, at least on this tune. They sound almost like throwing Iron Maiden, Fastway and early Savatage into a blender. It's way more old school than new to me. But then, it seems like they can take on lots of characteristics. I just listened to Carry On and it's way cooler. Maybe I've missed out on this band? Seems pretty good after two songs.

I have been a huge fan of these guys since 2004. I heard a song from Waking the Fallen on music choice. The video blew up on headbangers ball late that year, they were actually almost done recording City of Evil. I break it down like this.

Sounding the Seventh Trumpet - More of an emo metal album, they dont even acknowledge it, I have never heard anything played off it live.

Waking the Fallen - Some metalcore influences here. Some really cool riffs, solos etc. Check out "I wont see you tonight Part 1" Slower song, epic feel. The last album they mixed harsher vocals with clean singing.

City of Evil - Classic. Almost a power metal album at times. Guitar hero helped this album get insanely popular

Self Titled. Hit or miss, couple really good tunes, some weirder experimental stuff. Almost Easy is a classic.

Nightmare - Awesome metal record. Buried Alive has one of the most kick ass middle parts. Love it.

New Album - Read everyone's opinion. Got more of an old school metal vibe, but it's still them.