All hail the kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverlinings

Jun 11, 2010
I just thought I would pop in and say the new DT album proves once again that they are still the kings of prog metal. Yes there are other good bands and such, but IMO no one comes close. They still do what they do better than anyone else. And yes I am buying the boxset and will be at the NYC show.

I know pepole on this forum will say that haven't liked any of their albums since SFAM, but the new one seriously kicks ass. I liked BCSL a lot, but the new album is better in every way, especially the overall sound.

All of you forumites who complain about my opinion and rave about average bands all the time (ie Sabaton, just an example) should listen to the new with an open mind. I beleive they started the current prog metal scene and it will end with them.

I've heard several songs from the new album and I have to agree that this is their most focused album in a long time. They are still the kings of prog metal no matter what anyone says.

I know pepole on this forum will say that haven't liked any of their albums since SFAM, but the new one seriously kicks ass. I liked BCSL a lot, but the new album is better in every way, especially the overall sound.

I definitely would not say that. I would say that there has not been a great, complete album since Images and Words. This is my opinion, and I will stick with it.

Are they all fantastic, individual musicians? Of course.

I CAN see why many 'prog- DT fanboys' people will enjoy the new album. So far, it doesn't compel me. I will continue to listen on Youtube, and buy, if it grows on me. Any album that ends in my library is paid for....haven't visited a torrent site, and refuse to do so.

best album since Six Degrees for me...JLB is amazing on this. Lost Not Forgotten, Bridges in the Sky and Beneath the Surface are my favorites. Only song that isnt too good is Build Me Up, Break Me Down.

Seriously? Sabaton and Dream Theater? Apples and oranges my friend.

All of you forumites who complain about my opinion and rave about average bands all the time (ie Sabaton, just an example) should listen to the new with an open mind. I beleive they started the current prog metal scene and it will end with them.

I definitely would not say that. I would say that there has not been a great, complete album since Images and Words. This is my opinion, and I will stick with it.

I would agree with that but say that Awake was their last great album. I think they lost it all when they lost Kevin. The rest has been hodge-podge. Not to say that some of it's not good, but it's not those two albums.

I can't see myself buying this one. Not after how disappointed I was with BCSL. I actually gave that album away I was so saddened by it.

I am just saying that bands like sabaton are mentioned just as much in this forum as dream theater. I know they are Power metal, but they are all "metal" bands. And yes I did say it. Hey another one is voyager. The new one may be good, and the last one was decent, but they are just ok for me. Not even in the same league.

However, I do like it all. All I mean to say is the new dt is damn good and I would love to see people's top ten lists this year. If this isn't on it, I think you're crazy.

I am just saying that bands like sabaton are mentioned just as much in this forum as dream theater. I know they are Power metal, but they are all "metal" bands. And yes I did say it. Hey another one is voyager. The new one may be good, and the last one was decent, but they are just ok for me. Not even in the same league.

However, I do like it all. All I mean to say is the new dt is damn good and I would love to see people's top ten lists this year. If this isn't on it, I think you're crazy.

I Am the ReVolution destroys post-Train of Thought Dream Theater. That said, I'm absolutely loving A Dramatic Turn of Events.

I'll give Dream Theater some consideration as "kings" (whatever that means) when they can put out a single release that tops Ark's "Burn The Sun". Or a half-dozen other albums that have come out over the last decade.

I know I'm in the minority here but DT is getting awfully close to two full decades here without a release worthy of talents of the members in the band.

I can agree with what you're saying there, Eric, but sadly I feel Ark isn't as good an example for me. I do enjoy Jorn, but I've never really been grabbed by anything Ark ever did.

Status
Not open for further replies.