Sodom/Finntroll @ BB Kings last night

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
Wow, I was not expecting many people to attend this show. It was quite a great turn out. By the time Finntroll took the stage around 8pm the venue was packed. The venue did leave their dinner tables up on each of the sides so it was the main floor and the back center bar area that was the standing room but I was still shocked on how many people were there. I truly underestimated how popular Finntroll is.

Going into this gig I had never heard Finntroll before. They are totally not what I expected. I didn't think I was gonna like them. I thought the polka aspect was gonna be unbearable and it was going to saturate the songs. They were actually really heavy and while the polka/folk/Finnish dance influence was there it actually fit right in with the songs and all flowed together rather well. They played for what I would say was slightly over one hour. I sat down during their set and enjoyed a way over priced BB Kings dinner but I have to say that I really enjoyed their set and am looking into picking up an album now.

Next up was the band I was hear to see... SODOM! The German three piece came out and ripped right into the "Vice of Killing" following that up with "Agent Orange" great one two punch to get things going. Was a little suprised how fast their set went as they took the stage 9:30 they were already into their encore by 10:30. Very tight for a three piece band. I was just thrilled to see them here on these shores. They played a lot of old stuff including "Blasphemer" and "Witching Metal". More tunes of Agent Orange like "Remeber the Fallen" and "Ausgebombt". Other tunes included "Napalm in the Morning", "The Saw is the Law", a Motorhead cover ("Ace of Spades"), a new track off the bands upcoming album, and more. Over all a very cool experience. I hope to see them back on these shores maybe as part of another package with some great thrash/death metal bands.

Destruction is now the only missing piece to my German thrash metal puzzle as I have now seen Sodom and Kreator.

Well...
Finntroll was unbelivable... I love the band and seeing them live just got me psyched! I was jumping/dancing/headbanging during their whole entire set, while singing (yes, I did memorize a few of the songs ;I know I got nothing else to do) and screaming... What a fucking concert!

Sodom... honestly? I was never a huge fan of the whole German Thrash school, although I like Kreator.... I think I stayed for half of their set and left later, for I didn't know too much of the band. What I saw was a tight band and an ecstatic crowd!

AngraRULES said:
Well...
Finntroll was unbelivable... I love the band and seeing them live just got me psyched! I was jumping/dancing/headbanging during their whole entire set, while singing (yes, I did memorize a few of the songs ;I know I got nothing else to do) and screaming... What a fucking concert!

Sodom... honestly? I was never a huge fan of the whole German Thrash school, although I like Kreator.... I think I stayed for half of their set and left later, for I didn't know too much of the band. What I saw was a tight band and an ecstatic crowd!

Yeah Finntroll was pretty damned awesome.
And Milton you're a big liar, we stayed for 2 and a half Sodom songs and got the hellllll out of there :Spin:
They were definitely really tight as a band, even if I didn't enjoy their music...

By the way I loved the 40 year old guys crowd surfing :tickled:

Petethedrummer said:
Yeah Finntroll was pretty damned awesome.
And Milton you're a big liar, we stayed for 2 and a half Sodom songs and got the hellllll out of there :Spin:
They were definitely really tight as a band, even if I didn't enjoy their music...

By the way I loved the 40 year old guys crowd surfing :tickled:

Two and a half, half a set... It seemed too long for me anyway... :tickled:

Was great seeing you both again. Sorry, we didn't get longer to talk Pete. Ben got tired after 2 Sodom songs and begged to leave. We ended up in Applebees chowing down instead. Was amazing how many people left after Finntroll. Sodom was better i.e. tighter than expected, they just ain't our thing. I hope to have the interview with Wilska up asap, as well as the photos of both bands. Here's Wilska backstage just to get you started.

wilska2b.jpg

Our date Finntroll was billed the headliner for close to 6 months. Of course they weren't headlining, but besides that mix up the show was perfect. Finntroll played an amazing set (and even got an encore) and Sodom killed. Great way to start off the new year with a show like this.

AMBR said:
Was great seeing you both again. Sorry, we didn't get longer to talk Pete. Ben got tired after 2 Sodom songs and begged to leave.

Yeah, don't worry, we left early also. Any chance that you'll be at the Sonata Arctica show in Poughkeepsie? Or just the show at BBkings?

BlackenedDawn said:
Our date Finntroll was billed the headliner for close to 6 months. Of course they weren't headlining, but besides that mix up the show was perfect. Finntroll played an amazing set (and even got an encore) and Sodom killed. Great way to start off the new year with a show like this.
You're talking about the show at Jaxx, right? Finntroll absolutely destroyed. :) I was a little bummed when I realized they weren't actually headlining, but it didn't matter. My only real dissapointment was that all the polka effects are done by keyboard. I had this grand image in my head of various instruments being brought in (an acordianist headbanging while playing has been a joke with a friend of mine ever since I told him about Finntroll :D). They were still a blast, though.

I'd never heard of Sodom before, and unfortunately they weren't much to my liking. I actually ended up taking a seat at the side bar and dozing in and out for a while (preparation for the long drive back). A large portion of the crowd left after Finntroll at our show, too, AMBR.

Petethedrummer said:
Yeah, don't worry, we left early also. Any chance that you'll be at the Sonata Arctica show in Poughkeepsie? Or just the show at BBkings?
I'd love to see SA in Poughkeepsie, I used to go to the Chance ages ago, but I just can't make it fit with my work schedule. :erk: Would love to go to the Paladium in Worcester too, esp. since it's on a Friday, but I've got no one able to make the trip with me and that would require a hotel room. Oh well, guess I gotta be happy with one Sonata show, :) though from what I've heard, it's gonna be a zoo that night! And B.B. King's security will probably be out in force with all their bullish behavior. Shouldn't bitch since it's great to get all these shows now, but that venue does spoil it with the rip-offs and rules, rules, rules.:yuk: Some of the other east coast venues are way better. :headbang:

I can probably just make it to The Chance, since as of the 16th I'll be back to school in PA. So...I guess I'll see you at some other show sometime, who knows.

And, speaking about the security at the venue...

I was calling a friend of mine during Finntroll's set, and just as it starts ringing, this huge ass of a 400 pound security guard starts grabbing my phone and just kept on yelling "DELETE IT." he claimed that the only reason i could have my phone out is that i was bootlegging, and wanted to see me delete my alleged bootlegged songs. I even showed him, my phone still said "connected to eric" and he was like "What's it connected to? I don't see no number there, you aint calling nobody." And he just kept on yelling "Delete it."

He was definitely an ass, and I'd like him fired =)

Damn I hate that shit. Those bouncers there are not only pushy and belligerent but ignorant. I have a few more stories, but I'd better tell them to you in person. ;)

We had the same trouble at the Palladium when Man-o-War was playing. We had a photo pass for the upstairs show where Into Eternity was playing. So after their set, I volunteered to run the cameras back to the hotel so Dave could catch the beginning of Rhapsody. I tried calling him when I got back to the venue so I could locate him, but everytime he tried to answer my call, the bouncers were all over him. Total bullshit. :mad: Hard to take a photo with the phone on your ear! Besides, he was so far back, it would have been impossible to get anything to come out. :err:

It comes to the point of which most security people at venue's (And I say MOST because there are exceptions) are intelligent enough to be... SECURITY PEOPLE AT VENUE's, and nothing else!

Finntroll were great, as was Sodom. I'm a big German thrash fan but had actually never heard much Sodom. Overall, I didn't wind up liking them as much as I do Kreator and Destruction, but they definitely kicked ass. Tom Angelripper has one of the most vicious sounding voices I've ever heard in metal, and their cover of Ace of Spades ripped.

AMBR said:
I'd love to see SA in Poughkeepsie, I used to go to the Chance ages ago, but I just can't make it fit with my work schedule. :erk: Would love to go to the Paladium in Worcester too, esp. since it's on a Friday, but I've got no one able to make the trip with me and that would require a hotel room. Oh well, guess I gotta be happy with one Sonata show, :) though from what I've heard, it's gonna be a zoo that night! And B.B. King's security will probably be out in force with all their bullish behavior. Shouldn't bitch since it's great to get all these shows now, but that venue does spoil it with the rip-offs and rules, rules, rules.:yuk: Some of the other east coast venues are way better. :headbang:

AMBR,

I usually do not travel far to see bands. What place would you recommend other than BB Kings to see a good show in the NY area? Sorry, L'amour closed eons ago.

Peace,
Ray C.

Stingray11214 said:
AMBR,

I usually do not travel far to see bands. What place would you recommend other than BB Kings to see a good show in the NY area? Sorry, L'amour closed eons ago.

Peace,
Ray C.
Well, L'Amour did have good bands but the place was a dump, they always over sold and the area was horrible for parking and places to go for food and drink so I'm glad to see it gone, in hopes better places will now get the good bands.

That said, The Starland Ballroom in Sayerville is an excellent venue and frequently gets some good show. Check out their website. Nothing exciting on the calendar right now, but they do get some good shows and are starting to book more good metal.

Sometime the Irving Plaza come through, but not as often. I'll keep posting as I find more. There are some in Pennsy, but I'm not sure where you are or how far your willing to travel.