Dream Theater- US Tour

I'm not bashing Dream theater or anything I love them and they will always be special to me, just like Stratovarius and Genesis, I am just worried that the pattern might reapeat itself. Even King Crimson changed thier sound drastically, although still good it wasnt as good as the 70's stuff. Train of thought was obviously a commercial although a good album, my 5th favorite by them, but it was trying to reach out to a new audience. I really think the album is selling good Because i saw ten copies of it at wal-mart! I'm just worried because the audience they are trying to reach out to are a bunch of braindead posers who i go to school with who complain about my music all the time. Ex. James hetfield is a better singer than Russel Allen, Angra sounds too much like Metallica, the songs are too long, the guitarist is fat. These are actual things people have said to me, teenagers are stupid. If anyone tries to gain these trendfollowing idiots as an audience it will destroy thier music. I dont want to see this happen to Dream theater or vanden plas or stratovarius or adagio or angra or evergrey, or god forbid SYMPHONY X!!!!!!!

But this is all just an if, I do admit the scene is getting better over here. Glenn is one of the people helping it out , If i'm right there are more people trying to go to Progpower every year. We should all fight to keep our music alive and tell our favorite bands what they mean to us to keep them from going sour.

:headbang:

I'll be seeing Dream Theater when they come to Boston this April - can't wait!

To be honest, though, I have doubts about this tour. It seems almost as though DT gets less stellar as their music gets harder - Awake was magnificent, Scenes from a Memory was way up there, 6 Degrees was great overall, although incomparable to Awake in quality. I hardly like any of Train of Thought! The lyrics are weak, John's guitar solos are flashy rather than well-thought-out, and, as others have mentioned, TOT has an uncomfortably commercial feel. Next time - maybe they should spend more than 3 weeks writing the album, stop James LaBrie from writing the lyrics...and remind us why we all became DT fans in the first place!

yngwieuli said:
Wow! It is very interesting to read the comments of DT fans. I've always believed that everyone should have an opinion, judgement and speak their own mind. So with that in mind- I'm speaking my mind and with respect to other DT fans who are giving negative reviews- I choose not to address any of you.

I saw Dt two times in the TofT WT- LA and San Deigo and what I can I say- they were awesome and masters of musical presentation. Both shows were amazing and the new material was amazing!!! I believe they've acheived a new step in the carrer and like the saying goes- "You can't please everyone". Remember people- DT will always be DT and what can we all-the fans-expect? Excellent muscianship, crafty songs and excellent performances.. Dt has always been a special band to the fans. They are true, progressive, breaking new ground and most importantly- always setting the bar for other groups to follow. They are unique and will always be a special band to everyone who hears them. Perfect example: I spoke to two individuals, one in LA and the other- 14 old kid- San Deigo. The most profound thing that any one has ever told me about DT was from the fourteen year old kid when he said" After seeing DT- I will never hear music the same way- they were awesome".

To every DT fan who remebers their first DT experience/story I dedicate this long reply and remember- they can talk shit about our favorite band, they can downplay their music/performance but they can never make DT disappear because they've all misunderstood what DT is all about. I dedicate this to all true Dream Theater fans!!!

I'm a true Dream Theater fan and I agree completely with glasscastle. Their last few albums are MUCH different than their first few. If you like the super melodic labrie ballad with keyboards going all over the place, the albums are for you, but if you like the true melodic/heavy classic dreather, you have to dig back to Awake/Images and Words. I like all the others, but just not the same way. Am I a true Dream Theater fan.. hell yeah. I make eveyshow when they come. Am I the last one standing after the show.. yes. But do I think their new stuff even comes close to their older albums. In my opinion no.

i will say this ToT does have an uncomftorble commercial mainly on "this dying soul"(system of a down part),"As i am"(the metallica-esque riff),"honor thy father"(rapping!)

But i will say this though, endless sacrifice, vacant,s.o.c.,in the name of god
are awesome.I was really dissapointed in 6 degrees mainly more than anything.

I think they need to take 3 or 4 years off and write an incredible album like i&w and sfom. They should still tour though.

I don't know if it was just me but the Dream Theater Chicago concert was by far my worst Dream Theater concert. I attribute most of it to the poor sound quality of the Riviera. But this is at least the band's second time going there so they knew how it sounded the first time. I couldn't feel the bass drum, Labrie's voice sounded very screechy (most likely the total fault of the Riviera euipment) and the music just did not sound as clear as I am used to from their concerts. Did anyone else who went to the concert agree with my assessment or am I being overly harsh. I am a huge DT fan and just felt screwed after the show.

I just went to the Detroit show last night and once again I was amazed at their ability to pull off something interesting. A lot of instrumental breaks in the middle of songs (as always) and they really did a great job. They were on their game. The thing I love most about DT (which was mentioned earlier) they don't stand around an play staring aimlessly into the crowd. They make the show a real experience. Portnoy always gets the crowd into the performance and plays with the projection screen cameras. Jordan spins around while playing the keys and really plays up the crowd as well. Petrucci (even though he must concentrate during certain parts) you can feel his emotion coming through in his playing. I think that about covers the entertainment value.

As for the newer albums, in my opinion Metropolis Pt. 2 was their masterpiece much like Queensryche's Mindcrime. The ultimate concept album for a band who has been known to make great music. Now how difficult is it to follow up a masterpiece work such as Scenes. 6 Degrees was not in the same league obviously, but DT stuck to their "progressive" roots and tried something new and experimental with the CD. People talk about the rapping or DJ effects, but that's just DT being what they are, a progressive band who is not afraid to try something new or shy away from doing something their core audience may not be into. Train of Thought is once again branching out into a few new areas and revisting some old areas as well, but this CD was more of what I expceted from DT. A little less experimental than 6 Degrees and still fresh and exciting.

Lastly the comments about DT being as "weak" as Rush over their career I realize it was a funny comment, but DT is supperior to Rush as far as musical invention and talent is concerned. This may cause some ruffled feathers but thats my personal opinion. Don't get me wrong i have huge respect for Rush. They were huge in the 70's, did great things for music lovers (people like us on this board), opened up people to this type of music, and probably have a greater following than any progressive band ever will (at least in the U.S.). The funny thing is DT is not my favorite band (they are in my top 5) but they are the most musically inclined band I think we will see in many years to come and for this reason I am glad I'm around now and became a fan back in 1991 with Images and Words. I will see them in concert every time they come to Detroit because they always entertain the crowd, and even when they have an off night it is still a phenomenal performance. Sorry for the long post, but there's my 2 cents (dollars) on the subject of DT

It might have been me too, I had a few beers beforehand (usually that enhances though). The last time I saw them they blew me away so I set the bar high and just felt disappointed. It's funny, the first time I saw them they were amazing. The second time they sounded bad, the third concert they were amazing, and last week they didn't sound too great. I guess their next tour will kick my ass hopefully!!