Dream Theater Tour - Who Has Gone?

I saw them recently, and it was a great show. They played a few songs from ToT that night. That's not my favorite DT disc either, but the songs sounded really good live. It helped that two of the songs were my faves from the disc: Endless Sacrifice and In the Name of God. Even if ToT doesn't "move" you, I think it's worth it to check out a show on this tour. Since each show is 3 hours of DT, with no opening act, you get to hear a lot of older songs, too. I really enjoyed the show I saw, and would recommend seeing them at least once on this tour if possible.

OdinsCourt said:
I know a lot of people here have checked them out on this tour. What do you think? I've heard they've been playing most to all of ToT each gig. I'm not to fond of ToT. Any opinions on their recent tour?
I saw them at the 9:30 Club this past Monday. They played a lot from the new album, which was to be expected, but played some older stuff as well, including "Pull Me Under", which they haven't done live in years.

What impressed me most was the sound engineering of this show -- everything sounded so clean and crisp. You could hear every note. And best of all, the volume was moderate, I didn't even wear earplugs and my ears weren't ringing afterwards. Some people might have thought it was still too loud, but it was nowhere near as loud as some other bands I've seen at local venues. I was glad they turned down a little bit, it made the music more enjoyable.

-- Brett

I saw them in Cleveland and the TOT songs absolutely rock live. Gave the songs a lot of life and power. I thought DT sounded at the top of their game and have only heard fantastic things about this tour.

idragosani said:
I saw them at the 9:30 Club this past Monday. They played a lot from the new album, which was to be expected, but played some older stuff as well, including "Pull Me Under", which they haven't done live in years.

What impressed me most was the sound engineering of this show -- everything sounded so clean and crisp. You could hear every note. And best of all, the volume was moderate, I didn't even wear earplugs and my ears weren't ringing afterwards. Some people might have thought it was still too loud, but it was nowhere near as loud as some other bands I've seen at local venues. I was glad they turned down a little bit, it made the music more enjoyable.

-- Brett

Theyve definately played PMU in the past few years, they played it last summer in Wilmington on July 12 (werent you there too matt?)

But about the tour....i saw them on Fri in Upper Darby at the tower theater and it was an amazing show.....i on the other hand like train of thought so you might not agree.....regardless they do play a lot of older stuff (they played The ones who help to set the sun when i saw em) so it is definately worth seeing

Yeah, they did PMU on the last two tours (I saw them do it both on the Satch and Ryche tours).

Meedleyx10 - Yep, I was in Delaware. How could I forget that show? They did the ultimate encore - "Comfortably Numb" with both bands together. That was amazing. The only better encores I’ve seen than that were seeing Waters and Floyd each doing it (separately that is - alas, I have never seen the "classic" Floyd lineup live. :()...

Meedleyx10 said:
Theyve definately played PMU in the past few years, they played it last summer in Wilmington on July 12 (werent you there too matt?)

But about the tour....i saw them on Fri in Upper Darby at the tower theater and it was an amazing show.....i on the other hand like train of thought so you might not agree.....regardless they do play a lot of older stuff (they played The ones who help to set the sun when i saw em) so it is definately worth seeing
The last two times I saw DT -- both at Pier 6 Pavilion in Baltimore -- they didn't do PMU.

-- Brett

OdinsCourt said:
Yeah, they did PMU on the last two tours (I saw them do it both on the Satch and Ryche tours).

Meedleyx10 - Yep, I was in Delaware. How could I forget that show? They did the ultimate encore - "Comfortably Numb" with both bands together. That was amazing. The only better encores I’ve seen than that were seeing Waters and Floyd each doing it (separately that is - alas, I have never seen the "classic" Floyd lineup live. :()...
You were definitely at different shows than I was (I saw Satch & Ryche shows also)! When I saw them with 'Ryche, they played "You Won't Get Fooled Again" as the encore!

-- Brett

Yeah I went...fuckin awesome. I was probably like the 5th peson in line..but the gold and platinum ticket people got to go in first. No matter, I pushed my way to the rail :)

I will spare you the agony of having to look at the unsized picture, so I will just link you to the pics, instead of posting them

http://www.clan-virus.com/group.jpg <-picture before concert

http://www.clan-virus.com/jon2.jpg <-dt.net group picture after concert

http://www.clan-virus.com/ticket.jpg <-my ticket

http://www.clan-virus.com/jon1.jpg <-me with JR

I went up to NYC the weekend after the 9:30 club show, which rocked. Suprisingly, at MSG they switched up a few songs. The first half was the same. After intermission they opened with A Change of Seasons, which is one of my favorite DT songs. Portnoy also did this really long drum solo where he brought people in from the audience to drum on his other stool. Both were great shows, but I'd have to say MSG was better.

I wonder how they'll change their setlist on this Yes tour. I mean, most people who will go see Yes probably won't appreciate the heavier ToT type stuff. Maybe we'll get a more laid back, Prog Rock type DT set. I think I may go to Nissian in VA. Anyone planning on hitting this leg of the tour?