circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Abigail Williams – Legend EP
Candlelight Records – CDL324 – January 23rd, 2007
By Jason Jordan

abigailwilliamslep.jpg

For better or worse, it’s become acceptable to place the word “core” after a genre when attempting to classify a band’s sound, and in the case of Phoenix, Arizona’s Abigail Williams, blackcore is actually an apt description. While AW’s claim to fame, thus far anyway, is their tie to the now-defunct Vehemence, it’s easy to tell the two apart since Legend is part black metal and part metalcore, with a smidgen of death metal thrown in for good measure. But, due to several factors, a significant portion of the EP sounds like Cradle of Filth, which does get distracting.

Instrumentally speaking, the players involved are well-versed and quite accomplished, even if line-up changes abound with Phoenix-rooted groups like this. Out of the five tracks on the EP, the bland ‘From a Buried Heart’ and the overanxious demo ‘Procession of the Aeons’ are the most inconsequential. The others, however, are going to please those who enjoy Cradle of Filth/Dimmu Borgir-esque keyboards and Dani Filth-like screams wrapped in a metalcore shell. I can envision songs such as ‘Like Carrion Birds,’ ‘The Conqueror Wyrm,’ and ‘Watchtower’ becoming favorites of people who secretly listen to CoF as a guilty pleasure.

It’ll be interesting to see what Abigail Williams make of studio time with James Murphy (ex-Death, ex-Testament), and I’m optimistic that their full-length will be superior to Legend. Despite the wallet-friendly price tag, I’m betting most can and should wait for the proper debut. That Ken Sorceron is one sexy bitch, though.

Official Abigail Williams Forum
Official Abigail Williams Website
Official Candlelight Records Website

I liked the song Watchtower.
This band is decent and produces their music well.
The vocalist needs to take some singing lessons.