Abortion – The Gonzo Music

TheWyvern

Oct 22, 2006
Abortion – The Gonzo Music
Obscene Productions – No Barcode – Out Now
By Dan Fisher

Abortion_cover.jpg

Abortion play a selection of grind core offerings that make this reviewer want to pull out his brain through his nose with a marshmallow toasting fork. Just as pop music is lambasted for churning out the same tired crap like The Backstreet Boys, Westlife and Girls Aloud, the metal world should also admonish bands that offer up molestations of the ear canal such as this. The only thing interesting about this band are the lyrics that have a sly wit about them. Each song offers a social commentary on a different area including christianity (yawn), politics, consumerism and a general disillusionment with the state of their home country, Slovakia. The album artwork displays a picture of a homeless person looking mournfully into the distance, juxtaposed with the words: ‘Postcard from Slovakia.’ The substitution of the usually cheesy holiday picture for a dishevelled old man comments on the band’s disgust for what Slovakia has become and can offer the rest of the world. This is confirmed in the opening song ‘My Country’ where the lyrics read: ‘My country doesn’t know tomorrow…..God left our lands….I live in a trash can in the middle of Europe….Who can run is running away.’ Looking at the lyrics on paper they could conceivably be used to create decent anti-establishment songs. Unfortunately we can’t hear the lyrics because the singer sounds like he’s having mucus drained from his sinuses. There is little of worth to speak of on The Gonzo Music and so this is definitely an album that only fans of the band and the subgenre of grind core will appreciate.

Official Abortion Website
Official Obscene Productions Website