about Ödemarkens Son(the song)

paradoxile

Den Sista Ljusbäraren
Jul 20, 2004
Israel
myspace.com
this is a pure linguistics question but it has been bothering me for quite a while

last line in ÖS:Ödemarkens son, han är omnämud som Vintersorg

what is omnämud? i haven't seen it anywhere else...not on the internet and not in the dictionary

it looks like it comes from omnämna(to mention) but the closest thing to what's written is omnämnd(mentioned as an adjective)

can someone explain this to me?(preferably Mr. V)

Reactions: Det Som Engang Var
On my ORIGINAL booklet it is written "Ödemarkens son, han är omnämad som Vintersorg" don't know where you took this sentence from or if you misread the line as I see on the background there's a picture that can lead to misread the lyric

well, yeah when I looked in the booklet it wasn't quite clear so I went to the internet and most lyrics sites said it's onmämud...they are probably wrong...since such word doesn't exist...but on the record it does sound like omnämud.

for evidence:borknagar's the genuine pulse's chorus
"As the salt in the sea, burns in me
Forever, the taste in your mouth is-aaah" not quite right...the booklet says "the taste in your mouth is I"

@mantis: omnämad isn't a swedish word either...but I've seen omnämnad on the internet but not in any dictionary...seems to have the same meaning as omnämnd

I still think it's probably omnämnd...which could sounds like omnämud

ok nevermind...I haven't noticed there are lyrics on vintersorganic before.

and I was right from the beginning...it is omnämnd.
another one of life's great mysteries solved...just like Dark matter mystery(blackbody spectrum)

blackbody spectrum is a scientiffic term to why black people have bright palms,soles, teeth and the white in their eyes:lol:

does it mean "renamed"?

it means mentioned (as an adjective not a verb in past tense)
about renamed...i don't think there's a verb for it in swedish(I haven't found one anyway)...
as far as I know "she renamed" in swedish is "han gav nytt namn"(lit. he gave (the) new name) or
"han kallade vid ett nytt namn"(lit. he called with (the) new name)

edit: you know what?...i think namnändra could work(namnändrade in past form)...ändra mean to alter

after all this, it's still kind of strange why most of the lyrics sites write omnämud...

just try googling omnämud and see how many results you'll get...and all of them are for ÖS lyrics sice such word doesn't really exist

it means mentioned (as an adjective not a verb in past tense)
about renamed...i don't think there's a verb for it in swedish(I haven't found one anyway)...
as far as I know "she renamed" in swedish is "han gav nytt namn"(lit. he gave (the) new name) or
"han kallade vid ett nytt namn"(lit. he called with (the) new name)

edit: you know what?...i think namnändra could work(namnändrade in past form)...ändra mean to alter
A commonly accepted word is "omdöpa", which kind of means "re-baptize", except "döpa" is used with the meaning "give a name to" in a more general sense, not necessarily through the christian water-spashing ceremony.

after all this, it's still kind of strange why most of the lyrics sites write omnämud...

just try googling omnämud and see how many results you'll get...and all of them are for ÖS lyrics sice such word doesn't really exist

These sites probably all copied the lyrics from one source which had the incorrect spelling.

A commonly accepted word is "omdöpa", which kind of means "re-baptize", except "döpa" is used with the meaning "give a name to" in a more general sense, not necessarily through the christian water-spashing ceremony.

thanks man...just learned a new verb
omdöpa - rebaptisar, baptisar de novo, dar un altere nomine
the spanish-swedish dictionary concurs
damn, this swedish learning thing is going to take forever

thanks man...just learned a new verb
omdöpa - rebaptisar, baptisar de novo, dar un altere nomine
the spanish-swedish dictionary concurs
damn, this swedish learning thing is going to take forever

the spanish words are:

rebautizar -that word doesn't exist formerly but is totally comprehensible- , or (o) bautizar de nuevo (nuevamente - de nuevo = again), from the word bautismo.

oh, nice, maybe I can use it in my classtest next week. ;)

and for those who are interested..
In German "omdöpa" can be literally translated to "umtaufen" which is rarely used and to "umbenennen". It's a main verb so the "um" goes behind the object. So "I rename you" would be "Ich benenne dich um".
I know that there are some verbs in Swedish aswell which kinda "circumvent" the object. Is "omdöpa" one af those?

oh, nice, maybe I can use it in my classtest next week. ;)

In German "omdöpa" can be literally translated to "umtaufen" which is rarely used and to "umbenennen". It's a main verb so the "um" goes behind the object. So "I rename you" would be "Ich benenne dich um".
I know that there are some verbs in Swedish aswell which kinda "circumvent" the object. Is "omdöpa" one af those?

I've seen something like this but I don't remember any verb in particular
I also haven't learned when you perform the switch yet

the spanish words are:

rebautizar -that word doesn't exist formerly but is totally comprehensible- , or (o) bautizar de nuevo (nuevamente - de nuevo = again), from the word bautismo.

my mistake...it didn't really say to which language it translated(occidental dictionary) but it was pretty clear anyway
I thought it could be also portuguese or italian but portugese say batizar and italians say battezzare.

I think having it circumvent the object would be grammatically correct, but the commonly accepted use would be to put the "om" after "döper", but before the object. As such: "Jag döper om dig".