About to buy custom pc parts

Jrich4967

Sep 26, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Hey guys, I am looking to build a custom pc to have as my main DAW. of course, having it double as a gaming pc. Im looking to have 3 monitors, so i know im gonna go with video cards that have eyefinity.

i wanted your guy's opinion on processors and how much can handle in your opinion.

my main thing is what you guys suggest for processors and your experience

A high spec gaming PC generates a lot of heat, so i would recommend looking at some water cooling solutions if you also want the machine to be quiet enough for audio work.

If you do air cooling, the larger the fan - the more air you can push at considerably lower volumes. A DAW imo is not gonna require water cooling, even for the supposed gains in lessoned room noise. Case Fan sizes of at LEAST 18cm are what I would recommend.

Currently the loudest thing coming from my PC are either my HDD or my dvd drives whenever they're ramping up and reading from a disc - and the difference in volume compared to the inside components is rather large.

fyi eyefinity isn't req for a 3 monitor setup

I know someone who built his own PC from raw parts. If you're in Canada, the best/cheapest place to get parts is http://www.tigerdirect.ca/
He built his comp spending 2K when in retail his comp would have been worth at least 5K. Just my $0.02.
Good luck mate!

Generally all components have a nonlinear price to performance ratio, for example a 1000$ CPU will not come even close to two times power of a 500$ CPU.

So you will have have to ask yourself where your bang for the buck toleration ends.

Of course if your budget is unlimited, then just order the most pricey parts and most probably you will have the best possible configuration.

Just pick up a Intel 2500k Quad core (cheap at Micro Center if you have one nearby), a good motherboard ($100), a good cooling setup consisting of either a nice air cooler with a large fan or something like the Corsair H60 if you feel you need that. 8GB-16GB RAM depending on how extensive your sample libraries are. DONE!

Tech moves so fast, save some money for 1-2 years down the road and upgrade again if needed.