Absolute Debris

Fael

Feb 28, 2010
Link is here:

I know it's bad. That's why I'm here: to learn.

I'll ask three main questions and then I might ask more:

1.- What the hell do I have to do to get a full bass sound? It kind of sounds like I was using a guitar instead of a bass!
I'm using ReValver MkIII (instead of Ampeg SVX). I guess I'm just an idiot and don't know how to use it but... well, what can I do?

2.- How can I make guitars more defined? You can hear a lot of noise but I bet that you can't make out the notes on the rhythm guitars.

3.- How can I get a decent solo sound? I'm striving for Petrucci's "Scenes From a Memory" or "Black Clouds and Silver Linings" (specifically "Count of Tuscany") kind of leads but maybe that's wishful thinking.
I really just want something defined, clear and with a lot of sustain. Not really the brutal thing that most of these VSTs were designed for.

Last edited:
#1 - ampeg svx is fine... you want a more bass heavy sound, compress it to hell and bring it up in the mix... also make sure it isn't stepping on other key frequencies.

#2 - more defined guitars generally have a lower gain setting than you'd normally use and a more mid based eq setting.

#3 - for what you're looking for, I would say compression and a more mid based eq... Petrucci's sound is based off a Mesa Mark IV head... good luck.

#1 - ... also make sure it isn't stepping on other key frequencies.

How? No, I'm serious, I don't even know how to do this... Which ones are the key frequencies? Are there key frequencies for guitar and for bass?

#2 - more defined guitars generally have a lower gain setting than you'd normally use and a more mid based eq setting.
The guitars in the clip I posted aren't scooped or anything... They do have a lot of bass but they're at 5 or 6 on mids...
Any other tip? Maybe some general EQ settings? They're quad-tracked, is that a problem? Should I double-track?

#3 - compression and a more mid based eq...
Same as in #2. Any tips on which compressor to use? (I've got most of Waves plugins) General guidelines when compressing guitars?

Petrucci's sound is based off a Mesa Mark IV head... good luck.
Yeah hahaha I know... but I don't want to sound exactly 100% like Petrucci. It was just an example. I downloaded a preset (from some guy named Muzzy) of a Satriani tone and it's quite nice. I had to tweak it a little but I think it's really good.

Answers to all these questions can be found by taking your time and going through a lot of older posts on this forum. There is no shortcut for learning this stuff.

oh... and food for thought. Get rid of your hax0rd waves plugins. they wont help you.

Thanks dude. I know, I'm not looking for a shortcut. What I'm looking for is a first step. Maybe something a little less vague than "searching old posts." I really appreciate your time to reply to my posts. Really. But I've searched and searched and I can't seem to find a step that bridges the "I don't know what a VST is" category with the "this is a bad mix but bad is better than complete bullshit" category.

I've heard a lot of good things about Waves plugins and Dimi (and others) seems to use C4 a lot. Why is it that you recommend me getting rid of them? I realize I won't be using 95% of them... but until know, I don't know which ones those are.

Again, thank you for replying. If you could add just a little more to this thread and help me climb one more step, I'd really appreciate it.

What I mean by searching old posts is, that there is no gap between those two areas you noted... its a steady incline... your best friend right now, is reference mixes... listen to them in your mixing environment and take note of how things sound and make your stuff sound as close to that as you can.

What waves bundle are you using?

What I mean by searching old posts is, that there is no gap between those two areas you noted... its a steady incline... your best friend right now, is reference mixes... listen to them in your mixing environment and take note of how things sound and make your stuff sound as close to that as you can.

What waves bundle are you using?

Ok, thanks man. Any help is really appreciated.

I'm using Diamond I think. It's the largest bundle. And I've also got Waves GTR3 but I don't use it because free stuff (a.k.a. god LePou) and ReValver Mk III are much much better. (A notable exception are the Mogwai presets, thosea are just as good as ReValver)

i think what audiophile777 was trying to say with the waves thing is that it's quite obvious that you pirated the bundle since no one would have spent 2500.- on something that he doesn't know how to use or as you said only uses 5% of it..
try to work with the plugins that come with your daw, and try to understand how things work there and how to get a good sound with the "simple" plugins.
as you see it's not the plugins that make your mix sounding good but how you use them. hope you understand!

cheers

i think what audiophile777 was trying to say with the waves thing is that it's quite obvious that you pirated the bundle since no one would have spent 2500.

Yes and no... I mean, I inherited a waves bundle a few years ago, I think it was gold... I had no idea what I was doing with it so I sold the bundle + iLok to someone on craigslist...

I doubt he experienced the same scenario I did... so...

I agree with the rest of your post, though.

I didn't explicitly state it but I think (as so do you) I made it really obvious that it is a pirated bundle.

And I totally get you: I can't demonstrate Cantor's theorems if I don't know algebra basics.

I'll try messin' with Cubase LE4 built-in plugins (that ain't pirated, it came with my Tascam US122L).

Damn, I didn't think it would be this hard though...

Thanks a lot guys!