Absu. Yay or Nay?

anyone keeping up with the Absu drama? It's a nice distraction from the current climate of the world.

Basically the guitarist (Vis Crom) decided he wants to be a chick with a dick, so Proscriptor kicked him out of the band. Now there's transphobe accusations flying and Proscriptor changed the name of the band to Apsu.

2020 is fucking bonkers.

Never really got into this band, fwiw

Reactions: Krilons Resa
Sounds like a story on Blabbermouth. OMG U GUYS WE HAVE TO BOYCOTT DIS BAND and then all the comments go in the complete opposite direction.

The middle ground is entirely scooped out, just like all those "musical" nu-metal toanz. Kind of a microcosm of humanity right now. This is why we're dying.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
and Proscriptor changed the name of the band to Apsu.
KiugtAp.jpg

well then.

3rd storm of Cythraul ffs

Have you heard the fully re-mixed version? That album is excellent but the production on the original release is awful. For a while the new edition was only available on vinyl, but I think they recently put out a CD as well. 100% worth tracking down, its a huge improvement (not just a re-master).

For the record: The Sun of Tiphareth, In the Eyes of Ioldanach, and Abzu are outstanding releases. That's the biggest bummer about the current drama.... Abzu was written pretty much entirely by the "chick with a dick" (as J. put it), who is a great musician. Also worth noting is that they recorded a new album before this whole thing went down. After the lineup split, Proscriptor was busted for trying to steal and release her songs more than once. The new "Apsu" album won't feature any of her music, so unfortunately we'll never hear what they cooked up before the drama.

It's a shitty situation no matter how you look at it. Imagine you're in a popular band for like 10 years and have become close friends with the other members. Eventually you feel comfortable enough to say "hey I'm fucking suffering here. this is who i am" and then they treat you like a pariah and kick you out of the band. That's horrible.

ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE, imagine you're Proscriptor and have been leading this popular band for like 25+ years. The whole aesthetic is about warrior brutality and all of that masculine shit. All of a sudden you've got a trans woman in your band (which you never would have agreed to up front) and you're worried about the legacy/feedback/heckling/whatever. I can understand the dilemma here. I'm not taking sides at all, because I don't care enough. What makes me a good person is the fact that I can see both sides.

Last edited:
Reactions: einride
i will have to revisit this band. i remember them being a bit thrashy for my tastes, but who knows. I dig Melechesh, so...