achieving a classic drum sound...

Sep 1, 2001
Chicago
Visit site
Im wondering how to go about getting a real classic drum sound with drum samples.

I'm sure we all know this song. Just wondering if anyone had some tips to get this authentic classic sound for the drums.

Last edited by a moderator:

Something like this?

I'd say not too much processing on them, sparing compression and subtle EQ to make them sound as 'open' as possible.
As for micing I have no idea, but I'd recommend looking into techniques and their effects.

Jens Bogren does it really well on Watershed.

Last edited by a moderator:
there was a thread on gearslutz about the band's drum sound specifically. I think they only used like 3 mics. I don't recall it exactly but there was a ribbon above the snare. If you want a classic drum sound, try glynn johns with a good sounding kit.

The thing with samples is you gotta have the right samples for the job, it's hard to manipulate them to sound real retro unless they were recorded to sound that way.

Mid rangey kick drums, real open sounding snares, and a lot of room sound are pretty key, i didn't check your video, but vintage sounding drums were done with not a lot of mics and not a lot of cuts, drums took up a lot of room in the mix, try to buss everything and make it boomy (but i'm in session and can't listen to the clip you posted)

just see if you can find a sample pack of vintage drum kits.
SSD has a steely dan kit in the 3.0 upgrade if you have money to spend on great samples. there are also 2 bonham kits in there as well sampled in a stone castle i believe.

Just go for the realist rounded bog standard samples you can get your hands on and dont over process them and use a careful choice of room ambiance .
I always find the hardest samples for shear realism are the Hi Hats and snare.
Both are really dynamic in real life but when something like a hi hat is so constant it really needs to sound almost scruffy but still in time . The only way you can get that is with multiple unique samples ,I think BFD or similar drum programs use this method , I dont have it yet but looking into it.

yea i guess it would be good to try and look at how drums were recorded in the 70's and try to replicate it as best i can with drum samples.

That's the thing, you can't really do it with samples.
Tube pre's, use the eq on the desk, and try and keep as much analog signal path as possible. analog eq and comps and a lot of room sound (bring your overheads up higher, try whatever works for you), only bring your DAW into it once you've done all your analog processing. bounce it to tape and back if you can.

Hi try using cleverly placed room mics to get this sound, try getting a good condenser above the drummer pointing down over the kit, duy make awsome plugins to replicate valve gear and tape, use these plugins along with drumagog and drumagog samples close to the sound you want as possible and blend with original sounds, hope this little tip helps !

If you're using samples:

Choose 100% samples and take them to a big and lively sounding drum room. Get 4 large diaphragm condensers. Mic 2 of them at a distance and 2 of them close.
If you're feeling crazy, use six. 3 for each distance. ;)

I can point ya in the general direction but I cant give ya any in depth details. The other day, the main engineer at the studio put one mic about a foot and half above the rack toms (as if it were an overhead but a little lower) also slightly inward. and then another mic behind, but a half a foot above the floor tom. He panned them accordingly and used those as the basis for his stereo image.

he used those two tracks as the most present and then blended in the close mics. It def gave it an old hard/classic rock vibe. He got the method from somewhere else but I can't recall the drummers name that the producer originally used it on.