Achieving that 'cutting' guitar sound...

spencerlogan

Feb 20, 2011
I use pod farm for all things guitar, and I'm using the typical setup for heavier guitars like the diamond plate presets and tweaking that as I go along. But after I EQ there still seems to be more 'fuzz' in my mix than I'd prefer. I tried EQ enhancers on the tracks but that seems to botch up the guitars. Any advice on making a less grainy sounding guitar would be awesome..

First thing SEARCH second thing dont over do it on the gain or eq third hpf and lpf and finally and most importantly in my opinion works best for me is get a rough mix of the drums going before you dial in your tone it will help you get a feel for how everything will sit and if the guitars will cut through etc etc blah blah blah

I use pod farm for all things guitar, and I'm using the typical setup for heavier guitars like the diamond plate presets and tweaking that as I go along. But after I EQ there still seems to be more 'fuzz' in my mix than I'd prefer. I tried EQ enhancers on the tracks but that seems to botch up the guitars. Any advice on making a less grainy sounding guitar would be awesome..

While some people can get very good tones out of their Line 6 equipment, I was not one of them. No matter what amp combos I tried and no matter how many knobs I twisted or EQ curves I squiggled, I just couldn't get rid of that fake fizzy fuzz. Eventually I just gave up trying and moved onto much better quality sims I found posted here for free.

If you like the L6 Diamond Plate, then try the LePou Lecto sim. I think you'll find it to be a vast improvement over the L6 Mesa sim. Also, another thing that will help your tone out a LOT is a good quality cab IR.

And yes, don't waste your time trying to make a good guitar tone in isolation. You need to get your tone in the mix, not in the raw. I can't tell you how many hours I've wasted getting an isolated tone which I thought sounded like death incarnate on its own only to discover that it just sounded like a goose with a head cold once it was placed in a mix.

Podfarm is know for its Fizz factor, try cutting at least 6 -12db @ 4K with a narrow Q ;p Sorted!

Thanks man, its often tough for me to find exactly where that fizz is sitting in the frequency range. I'll definitely give it a shot.

Eventually I just gave up trying and moved onto much better quality sims I found posted here for free....

...And yes, don't waste your time trying to make a good guitar tone in isolation. You need to get your tone in the mix, not in the raw.

Podfarm and tone development have learning curves of their own but its all about finding what works best for you. Your last point is crucial too, all instruments have to compliment each other in the mix.

Try this out if you are still having trouble finding the offending frequencies by ear:
EQ - The "parametric sweep" - The First EQ technique any beginner should learn

That and some ear-training should help a lot, thats currently what I've been doing to work on this area.

Just tried this now. Found about 5 offenders on the left guitar track and 8 on the right. Ranged from boxy, to honking, to icepicky. Can't believe how well this technique tightened up my tone. Thanks so much for posting this!