Acoustic Drums for Metal: A Guide

behringer make shitty products, end of story. you get less than you pay for. hell just look at their frequency response, not flat at all. shitty parts too.

i'm interested in something that is great for the money. best bang for the buck and under $300. from what guys tell me at guitar center and some other places, MXL is the way to go. then again i haven't had much hands on experience, other than fiddling with one at school (MXL 2003 I believe)

My friend has used the Studio Projects C4 (~$300/pair) in all of his projects and I really dig his recordings. I'm thinking about getting a pair for myself.

i've had the 'who keeps time' discussion with my drummer a thousand times...for years he swore that he played of the guitar, so i kept the time; one day i made a guitar recording (to a click that wasn't audible), blasted it thru our PA, and asked him to play along to it

...big shock...he couldn't do it, wasn't even close...i've since drilled it into his head that HE keeps the time, and when he does that well it's up to the rest of us to be tight with him...we also do all of our recording to a click, i'll never go back to recording without one

i believe it's important for a guitarist to have a good sense of timing on his own, one sign of a good player are the guys you can hear play guitar on their own, and feel the groove and solidity of their timing...i feel i can do a decent job at that with most stuff i play, some of the more difficult stuff is exponentially harder to play in proper time on my own

it's absolutely essential tho, for any decent guitarist to be able to lock into a metronome or drummer and jam away...i spent 20 minutes a day with a metronome religiously, running thru pieces i'm having trouble with when it comes to speed and/or timing

no matter how good a guitarists' timing may be tho, they CAN'T play correctly along with a drummer who's out of time

mxl makes some nice cheap condensers...i've got a pair of 603s SD's i use for drum overheads, and for the price i'm quite pleased with them

i've also got a single 990 i've never tried, a 991 that works quite well on guitar cabs, a 2001 i dont' use much at all, and a v63 that works nicely on vocals (i rack up when guitar center has them on sale)

Massili said:
I found 603s , 2003 , v6 , v67q , v69 and 990 to buy, now i cant decide wich one i pick...

what are you wanting to use them for?

i wouldn't say they make great mics by any means, but for the price of some of them i think most people would be quite surprised...if you want a few decent sounding mics, that can be kicked around a little without having to worry about your investment, they're a great choice

cone head, i saw the v63 for sale in some random places, can you (or anyone) find the specs on it? also which is the best vocal mic for the $. i'm probably going with the 604s for the overheads though. and so far i'm definately looking into the 2003, though the new M3 and V6 mics look good too.

cobrahead1030 said:
what are you wanting to use them for?

i wouldn't say they make great mics by any means, but for the price of some of them i think most people would be quite surprised...if you want a few decent sounding mics, that can be kicked around a little without having to worry about your investment, they're a great choice

i intend to use for vocals and oh....if it can be used for guitars, good too, my main purpose are vocals and oh

if you can pick up the 990/991 pack that will give you a good LD and SD condenser pretty cheap (i picked up the two of them @ a GC sale for $49, i'm not sure how much they usually go for...but i've seen them cheap on e bay)

the 990 works pretty well on vocals, altho it can be a tad 'dry' sounding...i really like it on guitar cabs, here's a clip i made with my 990 (65%) and sm57 (35%) http://disvisioned.net/clips/CobraLeadQuicky.mp3

the pack includes this

mxl990991.jpg

cobrahead1030 said:
i've since drilled it into his head that HE keeps the time, and when he does that well it's up to the rest of us to be tight with him...we also do all of our recording to a click, i'll never go back to recording without one

i believe it's important for a guitarist to have a good sense of timing on his own, one sign of a good player are the guys you can hear play guitar on their own, and feel the groove and solidity of their timing...i feel i can do a decent job at that with most stuff i play, some of the more difficult stuff is exponentially harder to play in proper time on my own

no matter how good a guitarists' timing may be tho, they CAN'T play correctly along with a drummer who's out of time

If you really really want to get down to essentials....the drummer and bass player should be in sync before anyone else, not saying everyone altogether shouldnt, but the bass and drums are the back bone of the band and if those two are not meshed right no matter how good the guitar sounds it gonna sound like shit.

i'm a pretty firm believer that the whole band should be locked in tight; in the studio that's absolute, if something isn't in time it gets scrapped...even for playing out live it's something i feel very strongly about; when you put in the time i do trying to write decent songs, and work hard to put on a good stage show you've gotta sound your absolute best, or it's all just a wasted effort

especially with heavy/grooving stuff...it makes for a totally slack vibe and things just aren't as heavy when they're sloppy

i agree that the drums and bass are pretty much the backbone, but atleast if i'm in the band i don't feel it gives anyone else room to slack off

being tight is one of my biggest fears about having other bands come down to our studio to have me record them, i would really insist on them having their stuff down quite well...simply because i couldn't feel good about band (being the way many our) laying down sloppy tracks, and expecting me to make it sound great...because if i don't feel that it's above average performance wise, i know i'll never be satisfied with what i could do, nor should i expect a paying customer to

yes all the band need to be tight, but when i say the bass and the drum....at least for me, cause alot of things are going on with guitars.
when i record, i record drums and bass with a scratch guitar. then i do the guitars. if the band has two guitarist i recording them both hard paned left and right,and if one then i'll have him do left and right, if there is a solo, whichever player is playing the solo i will pan 45% to that side then lower the level of the backing rythm of that side. so again theres alot going on so the bass and drums need to be tight

yeah i hear ya, one of the first projects i did the drummer sucked and couldn't keep time. that was the end of that project lol.

cobrahead: that clip is pretty cool sounded, but there is one thing i hear from it that i feared, and overwealming amount of high mids/highs. oddly enough this works decent for punch-in leads, but most of the time i would hate it. also i'm looking for a LD condensor for vocals and a SD condensor for overheads. so if you could record some singing with that mic and drums or something that would be cool.

as for the guitar track, i like A LOT of mids in my tone so the amp has a bit to do with that...the condesner does have a lot of high end presence on guitars, but that's what i like about it

the only vocal tracks i have that i can post aren't featuring that mic, they're using the mxl v63, and they're not just raw tracks either www.myspace.com/disvisioned

"as for the guitar track, i like A LOT of mids in my tone so the amp has a bit to do with that...the condesner does have a lot of high end presence on guitars, but that's what i like about it" - just goes to show it is all about taste with recording.

also the vocal part of the tracks don't sound too bad, but the mxl v63s i can't find any info on them.

now that i think about it, i'm pretty sure that mic came free with something we bought...it seems like i did some research a while back and it was pretty much identical to the v67

but i could be mistaken on that

This is an comment on the OG thread. Am I the only one who doesnt really like OzNimbus' recordings? For 15 years of straight recording and preaching like he does, his drum sound isnt AS impressive as i would have imagined.