Acoustic Drums for Metal: A Guide

zmetallica said:
I i remember back when you did betrayer's rusted icons, and i was like wow this guy can really do drums, but that guitar tone was so muddy (then again that was your old studio). after listening to that sample, you've learned a ton.

That was certainly a while ago! Yeah, things were pretty primitive back then... V drums & solid state amps. ..Don't hold it against me :)

I'll try and explain sidechaining a little more later on. Right now I'm trying to finish off Black Kreek.

-0z-

wow i just spent the last hour reading this :headbang: :headbang:

my brain is overloaded with info and now i wana know about this side chaining :loco:

I would love a guitar or bass or article like this strait to the point. I tried to read record-mans or whatever or sliperyman heavy guitar article and i got real lost in his sarcasm with stuff :erk:

thanks oz you make me wanna go record stuff and thats a wonderful thing!!

As a newbie here (altough I've had my eye on this forum for several months now), I have to thank Oz ( and every other guy here) for sharing his knowledge, it's really helpful for ppl like me ;)

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
guitarists that refuse to use a tuner are the best.

my foot, their face.

Hell yeah that is so true. Christ it's not like buying a decent tuner is going to kill you (I use the boss tu-2). The same could be said about bassists though, now there is a bunch of cheap asses. Also metronomes are so fucking cheap now you really are a retard for not having one. This message is intended for guitarists....

OzNimbus said:
That was certainly a while ago! Yeah, things were pretty primitive back then... V drums & solid state amps. ..Don't hold it against me :)

I'll try and explain sidechaining a little more later on. Right now I'm trying to finish off Black Kreek.

-0z-

I don't hold anything against anyone, its all a learning process. Listen to stuff I did 5 years ago and you'd laugh your ass off (probably at me). Listen to something today and you'll be impressed at what I got out of my set up (and probably wanna give me tips).

I'm interested in sidechaining, I know what it is (in the simplest way possible), but I wanna know more detail about it's uses. I have all these plug-ins to try out, but I'd like to learn more about when is the best moment to use them and how to use them best.

OzNimbus said:
In the meantime, check out the drumsound on this clip. There's no sound replacement going on here... it's all natural.
http://www.spectresound.ca/sound/In4Life - clip.mp3

--Glenn

I dig that these are natural, but as I am new to the world of recording I tend to trust what I like dislike, and therefore must interject that I hate the sound of the kick on this recording. Just personal preference as I know nothing of drums (I play guitar). However everything else sound fantastic and I must give a couple kudos on this recording.

So you mention HPF the toms....Were abouts? I know most of the time the majority of the low part of the kick as at about 62 cycles. So I am guessing the floor tom would end up being just above this? So maybe up to 80 Cycles on the toms.

poundingmetal74 said:
While having a metronome doesn't hurt to learn to play to, that's the DRUMMER's job. If he ain't on time, he's not doing HIS job.

Guitarists need to practice to click too IMHO. I've heard a few make up their own intergalactic time signatures.