Acoustic Drums for Metal: A Guide

In case no one has suggested this yet, this section of gearslutz forum is fantastic for DIY bass traps, clouds, diffusers and any other such panels and acoustic treatment you could think of. I just built about 6 bass traps recently and this forum has helped a great deal. Not to mention the rest of the forums are filled with many other experienced (some big names) engineers discussing mic placement, gear, mics, software, etc.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-construction-acoustics/
-Peace

Not to mention the rest of the forums are filled with many other experienced (some big names) engineers discussing mic placement, gear, mics, software, etc.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-construction-acoustics/
-Peace

.....and are mostly what I'd call "gear snobs." If you're not using preamp A with mic B into converter C, you're not doing it right!

Quite frankly I've heard some amazing things done on lower budget equipment by members of this board. It's not the gear, it's the engineer.

I hung out on gearslutz.com for a number of years & got some really, really bad advice on a number of questions. Most notably, recording heavy guitar. IMO, if you're looking to improve your recording technique, gearslutz is a waste of time. If you want great advice on how to spend a shitload of money, then it's the place to be.

-0z-

Glenn,
I really hope you are reading this: I don't need a "dedicated" reply but I demand you deeply understand the following: thanks man! This is helping me so much and there is practically nothing on the internet that is this laid-back, explanatory, useful and detailed, complete with pictures and audio examples.

I also understand from your writing you've gone through let's say "quite a lot" so I am not going to write a thousand words, suffice it to say that I know you know how it feels to get some real help in this biz.

I can only say as a keyboardist I can keep this support-circle going by trying to help anyone with any kind of keyboards-synth-VSTi question or problem. If my expertise goes even only half way towards what you did I will be at my happiest.

All the best, thank you very much, congrats for the studio..it looks great and sounds great! The clips there are amazing.

-A

My pleasure. I just wrote what I wished someone else had wrote when I was learning.

FWIW, I am formulating a "part 6" right now & hope to write it soon.

Does anyone still have the link to that video, where Oz is in his studio with some band and goes through all the mics he has set up for the drums?

Also I'm looking for info on how to EXACTLY set up the two overhead mics in an A/B-pattern to get the snare and the kick dead-center. I'm going for this kind of approach:

Kit%208.gif

Unfortunetaly the picture doesn't show where to put the overheads exactly or at which distance from each other. Is there some kind of rule like with the Recorderman-Method?

Oz, this thread is awesome. PURE FUCKING GOLD! Thanks so much for sharing your experience. You should write a book "How do record drums" and i´m sure, ALL Sneapsters would buy it. I´d be the first. Respect and appreciation for your work on this forum!!

Felix Neumann

Best information ive ever found on miking and recording drums to far. But it seems i can't find part 5 of it, or isnt it up yet? To bad ive found this threat abit 6 months to late, after the demo was released. With reading this stuff i feel like doing the drums all over again, i think ive might get it right now. Check out the slighty failed - but still better sounding than the average demo around here - sound on my myspace down below. To bad myspace sorta changed the quality of the mp3. Anyone else had this issue?

Better quality by clicking this one https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1283560/Beneath%20Contempt%20-%20In%20the%20Hands%20of%20a%20Pariah.mp3

Best information ive ever found on miking and recording drums to far. But it seems i can't find part 5 of it, or isnt it up yet? To bad ive found this threat abit 6 months to late, after the demo was released. With reading this stuff i feel like doing the drums all over again, i think ive might get it right now. Check out the slighty failed - but still better sounding than the average demo around here - sound on my myspace down below. To bad myspace sorta changed the quality of the mp3. Anyone else had this issue?

Better quality by clicking this one https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1283560/Beneath%20Contempt%20-%20In%20the%20Hands%20of%20a%20Pariah.mp3

there was one massive long thread on here about myspace raping your sound a few months ago. Search and you'll find it

Haven't done part 6 yet.... got busy on a couple of albums, then when I finally got that out of the way, the wife handed me a "honey do list" a mile long.... I WILL get to it eventually.

I've changed a few methods here & there, but the main thing has stayed constant: Drummers are the enemy of good sounding records & will everything they can to fuck with you.

Haven't done part 6 yet.... got busy on a couple of albums, then when I finally got that out of the way, the wife handed me a "honey do list" a mile long.... I WILL get to it eventually.

I've changed a few methods here & there, but the main thing has stayed constant: Drummers are the enemy of good sounding records & will everything they can to fuck with you.

Hey Oz.......got that part 6 done yet?

You know....I've past this thread a hundred times in the past, but never bothered to read it till the other day. You did a damn fine job Oz!
Excellent tutorial! :headbang: