ADA MP1 help (part 2)

Vicioushead

Jan 29, 2012
Ireland
Ok, so I set up this pre amp today. I am running it through the power amp section of my ENGL fireball (I hope correctly). I should also point out that the ENGL is connected to a THD Hotplate which is set for direct recording.

What I have done is plugged into the "send" on the ADA and into the "recieve" on the back of the ENGL. I changed the ENGL to the clean channel and played around with the patches for a while.

Sadly, although I can hear the potential the unit has to offer, I'm getting alot of noise and distortion on what are supposed to be the clean patches and squealing/feedback on the distortion ones. I'm pretty much a gear noob so I am certain it's something I am doing completely arseways in terms of the set up etc. Also, when I bought the unit the seller gave me a new set of tubes to go with it. Perhaps these need to be changed?

So, great people of the Sneap forum :) Can anyone help diagnose what my problem is and if so, offer some solutions?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Why are you using the send from the MP-1? Just use the normal output. It's a preamp...not a power amp. Now, the MP-1 DOES have noise...especially in the higher gain regions. That's just the nature of this particular beast. That's one of the reasons some people get them modded. I personally LOVE my MP-1 just as it is. It's the sound I fell in love with so many years ago. I'll never get that thing modded. :)

It was modded when I bought it...It had some kind of noise reduction thingy and pots/jacks changed.

Another forumite recommended that I use the send? So, I should go from the output on the MP1 and then into the receive section on my ENGL?

I don't know what mods you have or know anything about the actual mods, or what jacks may have been changed. But, as I said...it's just a preamp...not a power amp. Using the line output will not "burn up" anything. Unless things have been completely changed by the mod, that pot on the front panel controls the output level. If it's too loud, you just turn it down. Again, not knowing anything about the mod you have installed, but maybe it's possible by using the send instead of the output, your actually missing the noise reduction (depending on where in the circuit it's located).

iirc the MP-1 has a separate input gain stage and if you are hitting it too hard it will make the preamp stage self oscillate. There should be an input meter of some sort. If you get a red clip light on every note turn down the initial stage.